Tips for buying on Ebay

Replies

• PollyPolly Forumite
    898 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Rokkster, wish I had read your post before making my first ebay purchase last Saturday. Bought a boxed set DVD at what seemed like a good price but am still waiting for it to arrive. Checked Kelkoo today and could have bought it online for just 75p more and I bet I would have it by now.

BTW, the seller will not get in touch with me to advise on delivery or acknowledge the purchase despite several emails and calls to his mobile number. He has my money - have I been had? Buyer beware - and this buyer won't be going back! :-[
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Ambassador
    69.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    HappyChick..be patient it is only a week and whilst I think most sellers will get things out in a day or two after a paypal payment things can happen in real life that get in their way sometimes.

I assume you made an instant payment by paypal and if so you have 30 days to start the process to reclaim your money via paypal. I would normally suggest waiting until week 3 before starting the process though.

If however you paid by cheque or postal order wait at least another 10 days as some sellers like to make sure the cheque is cleared before posting the item.

Also, one words of warning, on the ebay newsgroups the matter of email contact is often discussed. It seems that some sellers will consider 'several' e mails in the first week after payment to be excessive and may consider that when leaving feedback.

I know it can be frustrating but give things a little longer yet.

Soo
    ’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • PollyPolly Forumite
    898 Posts
    Thanks for the advice. The seller finally got in touch and was very apologetic but cannot trace my transaction. Has asked for more time (this was on Monday last) and I haven't heard from him again since. You'll be glad to hear I'm resisting the temptation to email him. So far..... ;)
  • PollyPolly Forumite
    898 Posts
    PS I paid via Paypal and it left my bank account more or less straight away.
  • When buying on Ebay the first thing you do is check the sellers feedback, the higher the feedback the better. If there are negative feedbacks email the buyers that left them and see what they say about the seller.

Secondly email the seller with a question, if its a good reply stick with it. Thirdly check out the price of the item you want with similar auctions on ebay and if its something like a camera look on dealtime.co.uk, Kelkoo.co.uk or amazon.co.uk as well.

You must look at the postage and check that out with the PO website and see if its reasonable. Unfortunately some sellers charge high postage as it adds to their profit. If there is no postage listed ask for a quote as once the auction is finished you could be stung.

If a seller wants to charge you 4% for using Paypal don't bother. Don't buy from anyone using Paypal as the only payment option either.

Email the seller and ask which day they post and also ask if they obtain proof of postage. If they don't ...forget it.

After all that and your happy with the seller add the item you are looking at to your watching page. Don't bid straight away just sit back and watch it. Then sign up to an Auction Sniper like snip-it and 20 secs before it finishes you have yourself a bargain.

Good Luck ;)[flash=200,200][/flash]

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • My tip for buying on eBay is if you are in doubt about an auction then DON'T bid. The worst that could happen is you miss out on a bargain (save a few quid), however if you bid and haven't fully read the item desciption, didn't see the extortionate P&P fee or the seller is 0 - 25 feedback rating, you could lose your money.

I have made many purchases and sales on eBay and have picked up some real bargains. I always bid on auctions where the item is honestly described, the seller has a reasonable level of feedback and when I email them a question they answer promptly and helpfully (this can be a good indication of how well the transaction will go once you win the auction).
  • I want to add my shout to that of Rokkster.

Just been looking at in item in my watch list.

An A5 Filofax complete and boxed. Sold for £26.50 & £4.18 p&p. Nice item

Filofax website says item RRP £27.00.

So where was the bargain?

If you want it that badly go to WH Smiths, that way you get it quicker and with better comebacks if something isn't right.

It was interesting to note that all the later bidders were newbies.

Come on people! Be on your toes.

Don't get carried away...don't pay more than it's worth!!
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Ambassador
    69.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    It is easy to get carried away..I know. I was recently bidding on tickets and was bidding above face value and still being outbid. I happened to mention this to someone at work who just asked me why I was using ebay as the show wasn't technically 'sold out'.

I contacted the venue and ended up with really decent tickets, face value plus a small booking fee for the pair at less than my bids on ebay.

The thing is I should know better as I'm not new to ebay. I just saw these tickets being sold as 'sold out' and didn't look anywhere else. Totally my own fault, but I'll know to check in the future.

Soo
    ’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • 5MINSALONE5MINSALONE Forumite
    175 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I buy alot from ebay  :-[ lol... heres a few tips.
    Do research on the seller. Check out their feedback, I have come across sellers that BUY their feedback, reporting them to ebay tho doesnt remove this feedback so be careful.

Dont go with someone that has alot of negs.... or if they have a couple do what an earlier poster says and mail the buyers :)

Check the postage and add that onto your bid price (as already mentined)

Shop about on ebay and elsewhere before you commit to an item.... sometimes you can find it cheper on a nother auction on ebay just by the postage being a bit cheaper. Or you could buy it NEW for the same price.

Check all their auctions if you have time and see if they have any common bidders. Alot of the time some people stick to the same sellers, but sometimes some devious peeps out their bid on their own auctions. Be vigulent, espeshilly if they are a zero FB bidder. (report to ebay if in doubt)

Check the ebay messageboards to get a feel for community issues

Ask sellers a question if they have any customer service and want your buisness they will reply. If they dont I personally dont bother with them.

Hope that helps an ickle bit
  • The expert advice i've heard is that it's inadvisable to buy from a seller with a feedback rating below 98%.

It's also worth noting that apparently there are sites available that rogue sellers can buy feedback from. In which case feedabck can be misleading. I think the sites mostly exist in the States.

My advice would be...seller feedback over 98%, never send cash/cheques/postal orders etc and try and avoid buying from overseas sellers as they're exempt from UK laws.

If you buy from an auction you lose a lot of rights. Sometimes there's an option to buy outside the auction direct from the seller, which in some cases is safer and you may retain all of your Long Distance and Mail Order statutory buying rights.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals