Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• sally1980
    sally1980 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there,

I work for a pharmacy and wanted to let you all know of another way to get prescriptions cheaper.
    Most people dont know but you ask the doctor to give u a private prescription. This means that he prints it on the white piece of paper instead of the green. Medication such as antibiotics are usually alot cheaper this way. Most antibiotics cost about £3 for a course. you pay this instead of paying the nhs charge of £7.10
    Obviously this doesnt work on all medication but most antibiotics and you have to ask the doctor to do it.

Try it next time u visit th gp
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sally1980 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I work for a pharmacy and wanted to let you all know of another way to get prescriptions cheaper.
    Most people dont know but you ask the doctor to give u a private prescription. This means that he prints it on the white piece of paper instead of the green.

Do you have to pay the GP for writing out a private prescription?
  • moneysaving_pharmacist
    Options
    sally1980 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Most people dont know but you ask the doctor to give u a private prescription. This means that he prints it on the white piece of paper instead of the green. Medication such as antibiotics are usually alot cheaper this way. Most antibiotics cost about £3 for a course. you pay this instead of paying the nhs charge of £7.10
    Obviously this doesnt work on all medication but most antibiotics and you have to ask the doctor to do it.

Try it next time u visit th gp

As I understand it, that is actually a breach of the GP's terms of service and they shouldn't do it. Basic rule - if you see a GP as an NHS patient you get an NHS prescription. To get a private prescription you should be seen as a private patient - though malaria prophylaxis and erectile dysfunction seem to be exceptions.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Doctors can write private prescriptions for drugs not available on the NHS, but as MSP says above, the doctor is breaking his terms of service if he gives out private prescriptions to NHS patients on NHS time.

The prescription charge, after all, is basically the NHS fee for seeing the doctor!!!!
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • sally1980
    sally1980 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    I dont know about all the rules and regs behind it but i do know that alot of people who come to my pharmacy do this. Particularly with antibiotics and the doc doesnt charge.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Anybody ever buy Imodium or Diocalm Ultra to stop diarrhoea?

Don't waste your money. The only active ingredient is loperamide hydrochloride. Ask your chemist for unbranded Loperamide tablets, and you'll save as much as 75% for exactly the same medication.
  • RebekahR
    RebekahR Posts: 5,980 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you have regular medication lilke as nose sprays or asthma inhaler etc then ask your gp for 2. I always ask for 2 of that nose spray or 2 inhalers. You ONLY pay for the item not the quantity of the item! So if you only get 1 and you know you will need another ask for 2.
  • Myrna
    Myrna Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    :T :j :rotfl:
    I get 3 months prescriptions for all my meds. I never ask for a months supply of my long term meds. That would cost me 3 times as much. This seems to work out cheaper than 3 month or anual prepay certificates. I tried to get longer scripts but my Dr said 3 months was the maximum i could get at one time.

Please click reply to discuss

articlealert.gif

Read the old Prescriptions and Medications Discussion thread[/quote]
  • isihac_2
    isihac_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    For those who still use the anti-histamine tablet branded as 'Piriton', there is a generic available otc from pharmacists under the name 'Chlorphenamine 4mg tablets'; these cost me about 4p per pill vs Piriton @ 10p per. (Chlorphenamine Maleate is the active ingredient in 'Piriton')
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    Myrna wrote: »
    :T :j :rotfl:
    I get 3 months prescriptions for all my meds. I never ask for a months supply of my long term meds. That would cost me 3 times as much. This seems to work out cheaper than 3 month or anual prepay certificates. I tried to get longer scripts but my Dr said 3 months was the maximum i could get at one time.

Please click reply to discuss

articlealert.gif

Read the old Prescriptions and Medications Discussion thread
    [/quote]

Everybody at my GP's surgery was been informed earlier this year, that all prescriptions will in future be for 1 month supply. I have 3 items per month so this has been working out at around £23 per month. The pharmacy gave me Form FP95 about pre-payment charges - I didn't realise how much I could save with one of these things.

One phone-call to the number, and I'm now set-up with DD for £10.25 per month for 10 months - which will cover me for regular meds plus any extra ones like antibiotics, painkillers etc. - so a really good saving of well over 50% (not counting anything extra) :D.

Should have done it ages ago - but you live and learn :).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure