What's a good birthday prezzie

Options
Any ideas what i could buy my 27 year old boyfriend for his birthday, men are so difficult to buy for.
Hopeful-but-Doubtful :p :beer:

Comments

• crossleydd42
    crossleydd42 Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    Options
    Give us some clues about his interests.

But for starters, does he like (play) sport, reading/DVD's, board games, motor racing, fishing, flying/gliding? Would it be a surprise to book him in for any of the latter things?

Women are difficult to buy for - I usually go for balls of wool and kittens! How they love it!
    "Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, this is skirting around the issue. The real problem is that the cup is too big."
  • Counting_Pennies_2
    Options
    I was going to say a Red Letter Day and let him choose, although they did go into administration lately.

My voucher wasn't honoured because we had had it over a year, but I believe vouchers bought from now and over the last year are still honoured.

It makes a great gift as you buy it for a set amount and they can look it up in the brochure and decide what they want to do and put more money towards it if they want something over extravagent
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    if he is onto wine a really good quality bottle of wine which can be put down for later years - a good wine merchant will help you
    a ticket for a concert or a sporting event depending on what hes into
    an evening at the greyhound races - great fun;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • crossleydd42
    crossleydd42 Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    Options
    Paintballing, quad biking
    "Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, this is skirting around the issue. The real problem is that the cup is too big."
  • Peakma
    Peakma Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In my experience all men love torches and magnets! magnetoids are pretty cool.And you'll find some great led and laser pointer torches on ebay.If you want to spend more get away for a weekend, some ridiculously cheap flights around if you don't care where you go.
    Other people on here before have suggested a homemade book of promises ,like a cheque book of things you'll do at any requested time e.g give a massage, make a cup of tea,choose t.v channel,bake a cake for etc. anything your willing to do!I like this idea but haven't ever used it.Great because it is initially free.
  • zodiac
    zodiac Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    Options
    I remember when this was just a little website! :money:
  • Hopeful-but-Doubtful
    Options
    Well he's a lager lout and a PC Gaming Nerd, the last 4 years i have bought him PC Accesories (Graphic Card, Joy sticks, and all the other things i don't understand), but i want something more personal (He doesn't do jewellery or music and Films) As he bought me a DS for my birthday much to my surprise i thought i should try harder this year, we've got time off during his birthday but as the dope didn't renew his passport last year that's a no-go and Weston-Super-Mud doesn't fill me with excitement, just checking out the Buyagift website, also to make his male reputation even worse he doesn't really "do" sport.
    Hopeful-but-Doubtful :p :beer:
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    who says u have to go abroad to go away?

there are so many beautiful places in the uk. just up sticks and go somewhere completely different. check into a nice little B&B/hotel, and have a cosy weekend just the 2 of you.
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Mrs_Thrift
    Mrs_Thrift Posts: 387 Forumite
    Options
    Well he's a lager lout and a PC Gaming Nerd, the last 4 years i have bought him PC Accesories (Graphic Card, Joy sticks, and all the other things i don't understand), but i want something more personal (He doesn't do jewellery or music and Films) As he bought me a DS for my birthday much to my surprise i thought i should try harder this year, we've got time off during his birthday but as the dope didn't renew his passport last year that's a no-go and Weston-Super-Mud doesn't fill me with excitement, just checking out the Buyagift website, also to make his male reputation even worse he doesn't really "do" sport.

Sorry I can't work out what a DS is that he bought for your birthday! :o

But trying harder this year doesn't have to mean doing something big and expensive by any means. And I know it's tempting to want to get something more personal than the stuff he wants but you don't understand - Mr Thrift and I used to be like that with each other. But to be fair, that IS what he likes; PC Games and all the stuff that goes with them (your other half and mine! :D) so why not get him something else along those lines, and then you can do something personal like a jar of promises or a jar of reasons you love him, or something equally romantic. It doesn't cost a lot, but the time and effort that it would take is worth more than any amount of money IMHO. :)

Does he have a subscription to a magazine like PC Gamer or something? Mr Thrift loves when that lands on the mat every month. :)

And going away in this country, even just for the day, can be a great break, as you can get away from the norms of everyday life. Recently we've been doing things like daytrips to Barmouth and Chester, just for a wander around and taking our own picnic. After Barmouth especially (being at the beach) we felt like we'd been in another world almost for a wee while and it really stretched the weekend out and made it feel more fulfilled.
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    This may sound weird, but I've just bought my partner one share in Austin Reed for his birthday next week! It came from a company called https://www.framedshare.co.uk.
    They have shares in loads of things, including football clubs. You only get one share, but it entitles you to all the perks of a shareholder. He buys his suits in Austin Reed, and with this share he can get 15% off!
    Might be worth a look!
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure