Water Refund

Options
Hello I'm new to the forum and looking for advice.

I have been having problems with Southern Water since July 2007. I was in a student house and we were given a refund cheque because we paid for the whole year, but left in June.

I paid this cheque into the deposit box at my bank, they subsequently lost the cheque. To get the cheque reissued I had to send a letter from the bank to Southern water, I did this and have signed proof of delivery. Southern Water are now claiming that the cheque was cashed. I have the bank statement to prove that it was never paid into my account.

I just wondered if anyone had some advice for me? What would you do in this situation? Any guidance would be greatly received.

Best wishes.

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Isn't the bank able to tell the Sort Code and Account number to which it was paid when it was cashed? I suppose somebody at the bank could possibly have been dishonest and somehow managed to payit into a building society account somewhere else, but I'd go back to the bank, if they have provided a letter to you admitting responsibility for losing the cheque and ask to speak to the manager. You're a customer and are entitled to have your complaint dealt with propertly. If somebody else has cashed the cheque after they lost it, , surely they are guilty of negligence? In this case I would raise a formal complaint with the bank and tell them that if they don't pay up you will send the complaint to the Financial Ombudsman.
    In future, I'd be very wary of sticking cheques into an overnight deposit box. It's much safer to get a proper paying-in slip stamped by the bank and then there is no doubt that they've received it.
  • lw1104
    Options
    I have just drafted a letter to the FSA to take this matter further. Thank you for your advice. I will definately not use the deposit box in future, the only reason I did so was that it was a busy lunch break and someone at abbey was supervising me as I did this. I can't believe it has dragged on.

Thank you for your time and helpful response,

Best wishes
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family