Options
Any idea how much it will cost to replace a bathroom suite? Thanks

Comments

• BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    Options
    Inclusive of fitting by a plumber?

Straight swap into existing place?

Bathroom suites can be bought from about £300 in a DIY store.
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • Istate75
    Options
    This really depends on how you get it fitted. The cheapest way is to buy from a DIY centre and then fit it yourself. I would recommend avoiding the supply and fit companies that you see advertising all the time.

To give you some sort of idea, I bought a complete suite from B&Q and try to do most of the work myself. I couldn't do the tiling but did the plumbing and electrics etc. In total I replaced the suite (replacing the old bath with a whirlpool), replaced the radiator with a heated towel rail and replaced the electric shower.

The suite including whirlpool, towel rail and pipes/ fittings came to £1200, with the floor and walls tiles at £374 and tiler labour at £460.

Total for everything, fitted, was £2,033. With a standard bath instead of whirlpool it would have been £1600.

Hope that helps.
  • loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, a friend of mine says he can replace the bathroom suite for me. I do not know whether I can trust him as hubby says it is a big job, but he had put an electric shower and installed a gas fire for a friend. He is in D.IY. I do have to pay him but not as much. I just want to know how much a plumber will change, it is a straight change, remove old ones to replace with new ones. I am angry with myself due to my stupidity I have cracked the toilet cistern and since I have been given a quote for over £300 to replace it, I think it will be easier to replace the whole lots with white suite.
  • Istate75
    Options
    Hi,

You should be able to get a basic DIY suite for £300. Baths are standard length (the width can change so check the size of your old bath. If you have pushfit waste it should be easy to do a straight replacement. The sink and toilet feed pipes may be a different height depending when the old one was fitted. You could always hide flexible pipes behind to get yourself connected up. They are really cheap from DIY stores. Only other problem may be the overflow from the toilet. They can be different sides, but can be changed over quite easily.

I would suggest that you fit valves on all the water feeds (15mm for all cold plus sink hot) + 22mm for bath hot in case of problems in the future.

As for the cost of a plumber. Depends where you live, but would expect about £100-150 per day, and they may not be keen to remove the old suite and fit the new one. If you do the remove/ install yourself and want a plumber to do the pipe-up you will have the inconvenience of being without your bathroom for a while (and having to isolate the water so you don't have to shut down your house hot + cold feeds)
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, a friend of mine says he can replace the bathroom suite for me. I do not know whether I can trust him as hubby says it is a big job, but he had put an electric shower and installed a gas fire for a friend. He is in D.IY.
    Now there's a lethal combination, DIY and a gas fire. Be very wary of this person.

Corgi Guy.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    loulou41 wrote: »
    .....but he had put an electric shower and installed a gas fire for a friend. He is in D.IY. ....
    :eek: He must have a lot more qualifications than I have then.
    .....I just want to know how much a plumber will change, it is a straight change, remove old ones to replace with new ones. I am angry with myself due to my stupidity I have cracked the toilet cistern and since I have been given a quote for over £300 to replace it, I think it will be easier to replace the whole lots with white suite.
    Straight replacement of a 3 piece bathroom suite would be about £300-£500. Depends on location and any other quirks of the situation.
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • fatboyonadiet
    fatboyonadiet Posts: 5,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looking at about £250 upwards for just the suite being fitted, and around the same upwards for tiling, but it all depends on how big the room is, how awkward a job, where you're based, etc etc...

If you're based in Manchester I can recommend someone...
    2p off is still 2p off!
  • loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    I ask a local plumber, I live in Bucks and he said if you can get somebody to do it for you for £500, grab him. He said he cannot do it for the price, and his quote can be up to £1000. I thought it is a bit too much for a straight forward job. Thanks
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I ask a local plumber, I live in Bucks and he said if you can get somebody to do it for you for £500, grab him. He said he cannot do it for the price, and his quote can be up to £1000. I thought it is a bit too much for a straight forward job. Thanks

Do not pay more than £500 for a straight swop,not matter where you live!
    Diy-er fitting gas and electrics:eek:
  • t_r
    t_r Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    scerwfix do a suite for under £190 inc del & vat

To understand how much it will cost to do what do you want doing a staright swap or is it more complicated.
    All electrical work in a bathroom is Part P
    DIYer / Gas now thats an explosive combination :rolleyes:
    My opinions are purely my own act on them at your own risk :think:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills