PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buyers - do not pay the prices the greedy sellers want

I've been in mortgages since 1991 and can say with some conviction that prices are falling.

Why? Because a large proportion of the money supply has been removed from the mortgage supply chain. You cant expect a fire to burn as brightly with less fuel - it's really that simple.

Greedy sellers somehow consider 'thier' property to be special, which is a common psychological response given thier emmotional engagement with thier property.

1) International money markets have dried up so there's a lot less money available to lend

2) LTVs are being reduced and 100% lending is all but dead and some lenders pulling back from 95%

3) Income multiples and other criteria mean lenders are advancing applicant lower sums

4) The cost of borrowing has gone up since the end of the boom

Some sellers seem to inhabit a parallel universe. The worst are those that blame agents for being unabkle to achive thier sellers greedy aspirations.

Im particularly amused by the "prices wont fall in my area camp". EVERY area has a proportion of people that retain this view.
Well in the last crash homes in Hadley Wood, Herts, a mega money enclave, halved, so it really can happen anywhere.

Comments

• beecher
    beecher Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    I'm finding the level of denial interesting, and think it is fascinating that vendors all seem to think their house is the nicest in the street! The very people who accept prices doubling think that they can't half!

The ones blaming the agents have just passed denial and moved onto anger - by summer time people will have reached acceptance and either dropped their selling prices significantly, or taken their house off the property market.
  • Conrad wrote: »
    I've been in mortgages since 1991 and can say with some conviction that prices are falling.

Why? Because a large proportion of the money supply has been removed from the mortgage supply chain. You cant expect a fire to burn as brightly with less fuel - it's really that simple.

Greedy sellers somehow consider 'thier' property to be special, which is a common psychological response given thier emmotional engagement with thier property.

1) International money markets have dried up so there's a lot less money available to lend

2) LTVs are being reduced and 100% lending is all but dead and some lenders pulling back from 95%

3) Income multiples and other criteria mean lenders are advancing applicant lower sums

4) The cost of borrowing has gone up since the end of the boom

Some sellers seem to inhabit a parallel universe. The worst are those that blame agents for being unabkle to achive thier sellers greedy aspirations.

Im particularly amused by the "prices wont fall in my area camp". EVERY area has a proportion of people that retain this view.
    Well in the last crash homes in Hadley Wood, Herts, a mega money enclave, halved, so it really can happen anywhere.

excellent post

i love the way how on the threads on here, we keep hearing "my EA is totally !!!!!! and unhelpful and wont get me viewers, yet when i used them LAST YEAR I had 20 viewers in fortnight".

they dont realise the key words are "LAST YEAR"
  • nelly_2
    nelly_2 Posts: 17,863 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    excellent post

i love the way how on the threads on here, we keep hearing "my EA is totally !!!!!! and unhelpful and wont get me viewers, yet when i used them LAST YEAR I had 20 viewers in fortnight".

they dont realise the key words are "LAST YEAR"

Selling a house is soooo last year :)
  • Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Since 1991 in this business I hear at least once per day "my house is better than the one that sold in my street last month".

Funnily enough my neighbour was comparing her pad to others the other night and it was farsical. She only sees the good and totally ignores all the bad points - really laughable - what is it with some people!
  • neas
    neas Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    I really want to ask one of the "My house is obv worth this much" folk.

Just one question

Do you feel lucky punk? Well do ya huh?
  • movilogo
    movilogo Posts: 3,186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    If a single seller is greedy, then FTBs can buy someone else's property. Sellers can be greedy as long as their greed is fulfilled. Since, still most sellers are unwilling to reduce price, it means FTBs are probably over optimistic.

I too believe that price will fall but definitely to not that level where everyone can buy a house. And if there is a crash, it will combine with downturn in economy i.e. people losing jobs. So, getting into property ladder will be even more difficult, albeit fall in price.

Before you fret about expensive house price, note the fact this price has been sustainable because
    1. People get credit easily without stringent check on ability to pay
    2. Some people work hard and earn enough qualify for mortages

So, instead of hoping for a crash, FTBs need to try raising their income as well :)
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Of course the OP is a finance broker and it's the brokers who are the real victims of the credit crunch as they have no products (mortgages) to sell any more.

The only way they can get back into business is to get prices down so that flaky sub prime buyers (their clients) don't need to borrow so much.

So their judgments on the state of the market need to be taken with a pinch of salt by those people who are in a class above.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • Catblue
    Catblue Posts: 872 Forumite
    EdInvestor wrote: »
    So their judgments on the state of the market need to be taken with a pinch of salt by those people who are in a class above.

You mean the buy-to-let merchants who absolutely have no interest in talking the market up? :rotfl:
  • I agree with much of Conrad's post but find that referring to sellers as greedy is a little harsh. In any market-place, sellers want as much as possible for their product and buyers want to spend as little as possible. Housing has an additional factor which is money supply.

Maybe it is mortgage brokers, estate agents and anybody else earning commission based on selling price that are greedy. A seller seeks professional advice on value before marketing their property and most follow this advice verbatim.

When I sell anything, I decide, with the help of experts if necessary, how much I want to sell it for. I advertise the item for sale and wait for offers. If no offers are forthcoming I review the price/advertising and remarket accordingly.

For example, I have a car that I might like to sell. Realistically, it is only going to attract an offer of £1,000 but I will not let it go for less than £1,500. I shall market it at £1,999 for a month or so and if it doesn't sell, I'll try £1,750. I may then reduce it to £1,500 but if it still doesn't sell, I shall keep it because it has a value to me.

With houses, recent FTBers will have mortgages that are close to 100% of the value of their homes (because greedy mortgage advisers told them it was ok to do so). They may wish to move to a larger house or to STR but they will have to achieve a certain figure to make this possible. They cannot reduce their asking price without realising a massive debt. A debt that they were encouraged to take on by those in the mortgage game.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • It's not simply a matter of greed, it's adjusting to a new reality.

Many sellers, especially those with properties that have been on sale for a year or more, have already 'fixed' a price in their minds and will find it difficult to adjust to their house being worth less.

Bear in mind that most people are not as financially capable as many of us on here. They genuinely believed that prices couldn't go down and aren't always capable of realising that if their house is worth less they can claw the difference back on the next house.

We have been 'encouraged' to believe that a valuable house makes us rich. Most people can't comprehend the difference between a paper worth and an actual worth. Many people have been encouraged to borrow against an asset which can not normally be realised.

Yes, some of this is greed, but much of it is naivety with a healthy dose of stupidity, not helped by agents, lenders and the government. Much of the greed can be attributed to those who encouraged this madness. When you see your friends & neighbours making huge paper profits it must be hard for people not to get swept up and make the wrong decisions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure