Bid and bought item, now seller wants more postage money :(

Does anyone know what are the official rules on postage?
Can a seller change the agreed rate after payment has been made?
Having gone through numerous eBay help/policy/discussion/guidelines etc etc I still can't seem to find the answer.
Please help!

Comments

• brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    no they can't.

it's their responsibility to check postage before they put the auction up.
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • poppyolivia
    poppyolivia Posts: 2,976 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    hey tough luck on the seller not you!!!!!! I've had heaps of things that the postage was MORE than the entire price (when its been sent)....its up to the seller to get it right!
    You may walk and you may run
    You leave your footprints all around the sun
    And every time the storm and the soul wars come
    You just keep on walking
  • smartie1976
    smartie1976 Posts: 1,984 Forumite
    Tell the seller you will pay the listed postage or you will not complete the transaction. It is their error as the contract was made over the auction price plus the listed postage.

If they try and raise a mutual cancellation, you check the box which says you still want the item. They're hardly going to report you for non-payment when they've made an increase after the close of the auction.
    It's BOUGHT (to Buy), not BROUGHT (to bring) AND you cannot be frauded, only DEfrauded.

Please do not buy animals from a pet store. Visit your local sanctuary or centre and give a good home to an unloved or abandoned animal.
  • StaffsSW
    StaffsSW Posts: 5,788 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    It can only be done legitimately if the buyer is from a country not listed on the postage options, but otherwise, it's tough luck on the seller who should have invested in some scales and an RM postage chart.

Obviously you can force them to sell to you, but they can be reported as a Non Performing Seller - too many of these reports and they'll be listing on Tazbar!

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/seller-non-performance.html
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
  • steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    its tough...ive underquoted before and i just suck it up and pay
  • StaffsSW
    I think we have a unanimous decision....!!
  • louisa81
    louisa81 Posts: 284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you thank you thank you!!

my original message was...
    "I recently bought an item on ebay which stated £3.50 p&p.
    The starting bid was £7.99 making the total price £11.49. (-there were no there bidders as £7.99 is a reasonably high starting price for what is actually an unpopular item, at least judging by the results in completed listings)

Bearing in mind that I am currently selling my own items off on eBay as (being out of work whilst waiting for an operation) I am short of cash.
    I bought this item on behalf of my mum, it is a replacement of an item she broke.
    We decided together on an amount we were prepared to pay and based on that I made my bid.

I paid for the item immediately via paypal.
    A few days later I got an email from the seller saying they had taken the item to the post office to weigh and that postage would be £8.50 and I need to make the extra payment.

I bought this item in good faith, I agreed to the listed postage amount and, had it been listed at £8.50 I would not have bid.
    I do not know whether £8.50 is the actual postage costs, it seems high to me, but my point is I agreed to £3.50, I didn't agree to £8.50.

I have posted on eBays own discussion board but all I seem to be attracting is other sellers complaining about having to pay postage.
    While, being a seller myself, I could join in- most of us have miscalculated at some point and dealt with it in whatever way, this was not my point at all- I don't need my moral compass analysed by other disgruntled eBayers
    - What I really want to know is what is the official eBay rules regarding this.

I was under the impression that the seller is responsible for listing the correct postage costs, if they cannot be bothered to find out beforehand then they are responsible for paying any additional postage (I have always followed this when selling myself, though I guess what I do isn't necessarily relevant...:confused:)"

But I changed it over in case it sounded like I was ranting :embarasse
    Thought i'd post it in case anyone was curious as to the full details...

Any idea where I can find an eBay page stating that the seller has to pay, i'd like to perhaps include a link when I reply to them?

Thanks again for all your advice... :D
  • brettcta
    http://forums.ebay.co.uk/thread.jspa?messageID=1104014456&forumID=14#1104014456

just one of the many discussions on the ebay forum.

don't pay and if they refuse to send the item, fill in a non-performing seller complaint.
    helpful tips
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • StaffsSW
    To be fair, if you are after sound and reasoned advice, the Community Q&A board is NOT the place to ask for it.

"My seller wants to charge me more postage what do i do?"

"Neg em'"
    "Spam them"
    "pay up, and stop whinging"
    "They are a hobby seller, don't be harsh"
    "They are a business seller, stiff 'em on the DSR's"
    "Why do you have this on your listings?"
    "You've got 2 more negs than me, I'm a better person than you"
    "Do you pay tax?"
    "Your spelling is terrible"

"Why has the OP ran away?"

ad nauseum....
  • brettcta
    no i know, it's populated by idiots. i just wanted to do something useful :p
    helpful tips
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure