Autistic Son and Blue Badge, Advice needed

Options
124»

Comments

• lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your son has mobility issues in addition to his Autism, I haven't included those who have multiple conditions as that is not relevant to those who are considering just Autism as a need for DLA/Blue badge schemes. One child has CP aswell as Autism therefore his mobility needs are different to those of a child who has Autism and he is entitled to higher rate mobility because he can not physically walk more than a couple of steps. As I said however this isn't relevant if considering only Autism diagnosis and DLA/mobility.

Criteria from our council website
    Who can get a blue badge?

Blue badges can be provided for children of 2 years of age and over, and for adults of any age. To qualify, you should be a resident of County Durham and meet one of the following criteria:
    • You receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance.
    • You receive a War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement.
    • You use a motor vehicle supplied for disabled people by a Government Health Department.
    • You are registered blind.
    • You have a severe disability in both upper limbs, regularly drive a motor vehicle but cannot turn the steering wheel of a motor vehicle by hand even if that wheel is fitted with a turning knob.
    • You have a permanent and substantial disability which means you are unable to walk or have very considerable difficulty in walking. In this case you may be asked to answer a series of questions to help the local authority determine whether you are eligible for a badge. People with a psychological disorder will not normally qualify unless their impairment causes very considerable, and not intermittent, difficulty in walking.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • peediedj
    peediedj Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Options
    lil_me wrote: »
    One child has CP aswell as Autism therefore his mobility needs are different to those of a child who has Autism and he is entitled to higher rate mobility because he can not walk more than a couple of steps.
    yes my son,s main illness is cp,been like that since birth,but only been diagnosed with autism a few years
    Live in my shoes for a week,then tell me your lifes hard!
  • colin13
    colin13 Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Options
    People who don't need the badge or mobility component are getting it. No two and a half year old has road sense. My seven year old runs off if I don't hold him but he doesn't need a blue badge.
    On the other hand my DH has serious mobility issues and can't care for himself yet we only get low rate for both DLA.
    if I was you I be goin to CAB or something like tht and getting help filling in the form by the sound of it you r entilted to more help thn u r getting on these forms it is not what u write but sometimes the wording of it (if tht makes sense)reapply and good luck
  • trubster
    trubster Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks very much for all the replies, I am filling in the form as I type this, I have noted a lot of people querying how we get higher rate, we completed the form fully to the guidance found on the NAS Website, it tells you what you CAN put in there, we were 100% honest and deleted the irrelevant paragraphs, and they awarded the full award and it said on the letter "Information we used, Your claim form" and they didnt even check with doctor etc.

Links

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1561&a=3330 - How to claim and different awards

I am unable to find the page that goes through every page of the form step by step, but you can call them up and ask for "DLA: tips for parents and carers (on filling in DLA forms). Guidance Sheet"
    We’ve had to remove your signature because your opinion differs from ours. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why you can not have your own opinion on here and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • N71
    N71 Posts: 384 Forumite
    Options
    samf1971 wrote: »
    I know of someone who basically said if you don't provide me with some respite I can't be responsible for my actions & she got the care soon enough - that speaks volumes

Exactly! I know of someone who's phoned and threatened suicide, to get respite for 1 of her three kids. She not gets it every weekend for all 3 kids (only one is special needs!) so she can work nights at the taxi office!!

It does seem that she who shouts the loudest, gets heard - however, i'm not one to shout, and I plod along doing the best I can! (And hopefully doing a good job).

As for DLA etc, My son was awarded Higher rate mobility and middle rate care when he was 3 1/2, i think it was the same year they changed the age limit for mobility, so we couldn't apply before then?!? He has severe autism and developmental delay.

We were originally awarded lower for both, but were advised to appeal, which we did.

He's almost 11 now, and hasn't changed much - and I think Higher mobility and middle care are in place til he's 14 (i must check!)

Good luck!
  • atrekkie22
    atrekkie22 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    As he doesn't have any mobility issues he shouldn't get a blue badge or a car. You should get full carers though and support in looking after him.

* The National Autistic Society would highly disagree with you on those grounds. He cannot be left on his own therefore thats a mobility issue. I know someone who can walk but has serious problems with finding the car that she has a blue badge.
  • Broken_hearted
    Broken_hearted Posts: 9,553 Forumite
    Options
    It's an interesting point as to where the line should be drawn. I guess the rule is try it can't do any harm.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family