Autistic Son and Blue Badge, Advice needed

Options

Comments

• tillycondy
    Options
    I have got a badge for my son who is four. We get middle rate care and No mobility. I sent application in with a letter explaining how much it would help us if we had a badge as he runs off, sits on pavemrnt and refuses to move has no sence of danger etc and we got a badge. Best of luck
  • peediedj
    peediedj Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Options
    iam very surprised some people on here get high rate care for there kids who have autism,my son has autism,was only diagnosed about 18 months ago(although we have known for years) when we 1st applied for dla about 6 years ago we originally got rejected for high care+high mobility even though he cant wlak and we were up 2-3 most nights changing him,watching tv with him etc,so its a bit of a lottery
    Live in my shoes for a week,then tell me your lifes hard!
  • Broken_hearted
    Options
    Then the system is wrong and open to abuse.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• samf1971
    samf1971 Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Options
    peediedj wrote: »
    iam very surprised some people on here get high rate care for there kids who have autism,my son has autism,was only diagnosed about 18 months ago(although we have known for years) when we 1st applied for dla about 6 years ago we originally got rejected for high care+high mobility even though he cant wlak and we were up 2-3 most nights changing him,watching tv with him etc,so its a bit of a lottery

If you don't agree with their decision, appeal. ASD affects children in all sorts of ways so it varies so much but if you're not happy then you do have the option to appeal & they can re-assess your claim
  • samf1971
    Options
    Then the system is wrong and open to abuse.

And your logic to that quote is........
  • peediedj
    Options
    samf1971 wrote: »
    If you don't agree with their decision, appeal. ASD affects children in all sorts of ways so it varies so much but if you're not happy then you do have the option to appeal & they can re-assess your claim
    i get high rate for both,after i appealed,we have to apply again in feb next year,and as son didnt have autism in last case and hes had a hip op since then also and his little wlaking he does is worse,its shouldnt be a problem this time
  • samf1971
    Options
    good, hope it goes ok
  • Broken_hearted
    Broken_hearted Posts: 9,553 Forumite
    Options
    People who don't need the badge or mobility component are getting it. No two and a half year old has road sense. My seven year old runs off if I don't hold him but he doesn't need a blue badge.
    On the other hand my DH has serious mobility issues and can't care for himself yet we only get low rate for both DLA.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• peediedj
    Options
    samf1971 wrote: »
    good, hope it goes ok
    my son if anything is worse since last time we applied,due to autism,hip op,epilespy getting worse,so hopefully will go thru simply enough next time rather than having to appeal
  • peediedj
    Options
    On the other hand my DH has serious mobility issues and can't care for himself yet we only get low rate for both DLA.
    as has been said b4,its a bit of a lottery,you need a good doctors report,and when fillnig out forms you need to put the worst case senario of ur worst day
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure