We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

First contract phone- unsure of what to go for!

Options
TheDot
TheDot Posts: 78 Forumite
Hey everyone, well I think im finally going to get my first contract phone pretty soon.

Im a student and currently spend at least £15 a month in top ups, i want a new phone and rather than shell out for the top ups and around £200 for the phone I want.......I may aswell go contract?

Im after TEXTS mostly, so naturally o2 seems like a good deal at 50mins/500 texts for £19 OR 100mins/500 texts for £25 as I have been told that you use more minutes than you actually think.

I dont quite need this many extra texts and if what I have been told is tru I wouldnt mind more minutes.

Which company's offer the chance of your unused minutes and texts to roll over to the next month?

Can anyone recommend me any other contacts- dont orange do a decent student package? I would like either a samsung d500 or SE K750i(/w800i?)

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• wapow
    wapow Posts: 939 Forumite
    Options
    I'll try and post a more detailed review for you as i do tend to look at various deals that are out there on contract so when i get a bit more time to meself.

At the moment though, might i suggest an o2 payg? 300 texts per month? or if you want a contract with the added phone, try THREE. the sony ericcson k650i or something (cant remember these bloody numbers lol) is out now and they are doing a special student offer so check it out!

Good luck

(make sure, if its cashback youre gonna go for, that

A)you know you will have the full amount to pay off when the money is debited from your account

B)any problems you have with billing (i.e they charged you extra) then get it sorted immediately

C) always, ALWAYS make sure you send your bills off in time, and with RECORDED/SPECIAL delivery, and please keep the receipt.

the reason i say this is because i have been on many forums where actual staff from phone shops such as the link claim that they re-imburse less than 40% of their customers, because otherwise they would go bankrupt. they will either claim that you never sent the bills in time, or they will cash in on your delay and will not allow you to make any late claims because the cashback is not from the network, but the dealer. so for example, THREE will not be responsible for you not recieving your cashback as its upto the dealer to send you the cheque.

if youre not pretty slack (which nearly every student is lol i should know!) and you know you will be ontime and keep within your minutes and pay off on time then cashback deals are the best way to go!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport