Whatever happened to the Carbuncle?

Does anyone remember the Carbuncle? (have I spelt it right?). I haven't heard of them for years, those great big angry red sores that you had to put a kaolin poltice on to draw them. I don't know what made me all of a sudeen think of them but they seemed to be pretty rife in the 50's and 60's, have they disappeared along with rickets etc?. Anyone else remember them?

Comments

• I think I know what you mean. Not had or heard of anyone with one,but few years ago I had a Quincy(an abcess on my throat), Doc said he hadn't seen 1 for years that made me feel a whole lot better!!!:rotfl: My nan (bless), was always putting poultice of various sorts on peoples wounds:eek:. Also had misfourtune to have chilblains which I thought only belonged to oldies:eek: Anyway going now before I begin to list all past and present medical complaints in alphabetical order.:eek: The fluff of pink lint used to make me urge also mesh dressing in a tin with ointment on it:eek: Got to go making myself ill:rotfl: :rotfl:
    Grocery challenge june £300/ £211-50.
    Grocery challenge july £300/£134-85.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    A carbuncle is just a multi headed boil. I expect the discovery of antibiotics has seen it off !

Not sure where chilblains went - what on earth were they ! Perhaps central heating saw them off !

Rickets is still alive and well and common in many large inner cities with immigrant populations.

And just to cheer us all up - TB is making a comeback.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Cherryscone
    Cherryscone Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A friend of mine who shall remain namless squeals everytime she has a spot and says look at the size of my carbuncle lol its a funny word .:)
    ~We are all going to hell and guess who Is driving the bus~
    *Norn Iron club Member 294* (Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE Forum Team)
  • djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    A carbuncle is a swollen lump or mass under the skin. It may be the size of a pea or as large as a golf ball. The carbuncle may be red and irritated and might hurt when you touch it.
    It may also:
    Grow very fast
    Have a white or yellow center ( pustule )
    Weep, ooze, or crust
    Spread to other skin areas
    YUK!
  • A carbuncle is a swollen lump or mass under the skin. It may be the size of a pea or as large as a golf ball. The carbuncle may be red and irritated and might hurt when you touch it.
    It may also:
    Grow very fast
    Have a white or yellow center ( pustule )
    Weep, ooze, or crust
    Spread to other skin areas
    YUK!

I think i had one of these on my face last week:eek: :eek: :eek:
    :D:D:DNever worry 'till you get a worry...:D:D:D

:D :j :D :j:j:D:j:D:j:D:j:D:j:D:j:D
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    To a certain extent chilblains have been seen off by central heating, I used to suffer dreadfully at (boarding) school because I could NEVER get my hands or feet warm.
    They used to say that I shouldn't sit so close to the radiator, that changes of temperature were not good for them, but the truth of it was that I shouldn't have been allowed to get so cold playing hockey etc with just a thin jumper over a gym tunic, ghastly nylon socks, and definitely no gloves!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • lolly5648
    lolly5648 Posts: 2,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I still get carbuncles but they are called boils by most people now. Not a subject that comes up often in polite conversation. Kaolin is still the best at home medicine or you can go to the doctor for lanceing but the boil will probably subsided by the time you get an appointment.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    It seems weird now but I can remember my Mum saying that if you had chilblains then they had to be bathed in the contents of the gazunda.
    and if you sat on wet grass then you would suffer from piles !!
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    JackieO wrote: »
    It seems weird now but I can remember my Mum saying that if you had chilblains then they had to be bathed in the contents of the gazunda.
    and if you sat on wet grass then you would suffer from piles !!

So it was true :eek:
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Errata wrote: »
    So it was true :eek:
    The bit about bathing chilblains certainly was ... and if you suffered from them like I used to, you'd be willing to try ANYTHING to get relief! :rotfl:
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport