Petition to remove 5% fuel duty for OAPs - C'mon Gordon!

Options
Petition to remove 5% fuel duty for OAPs - C'mon Gordon!

from the Observer oaps who rely on oil are paying nearly double they were 2 years ago and the 5% duty on home meating oil doesn't help as it the amount paid has gone up too, so sign up to ask Gordon B to scrap it for the elderly. Petition ends March 31st 08.

http://www.boilerjuice.com/petition.php

'
Further information:
The Government needs to drop the fuel duty on home heating oil for the elderly – or continue to put our most vulnerable people at risk, according to BoilerJuice. We are calling for action to help elderly oil users keep warm in the face of rising oil costs.
Fuel duty currently stands at five per cent, which, at current oil prices, adds £20 to the bill every time a pensioner fills up a 1000 litre oil tank.
The five per cent tax paid by OAPs on their home heating oil represents a tiny income for the Government. However, to an elderly person struggling to pay their bills on a fixed income, it equates to heating their home for an extra couple of weeks, or having the cash to turn the heating up a degree or two. In periods of cold weather, this could make a major difference to the number of cold-related deaths.
1.5 million households in the UK use heating oil to heat their homes. Based mainly in rural communities, many oil users are older people. We estimate that cutting the fuel duty on home heating oil for pensioners would benefit tens of thousands of older people.'

Comments

• Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Whilst I know many elderly are suffering, not all elderly are poor and there are other vulnerable groups who also suffer who dont get any help at all, not even winter fuel chargers, like the people who are unable to work due to illness or disability

And why just oil, they also pay vat on heating gas/electric
  • ginger_nuts
    ginger_nuts Posts: 1,972 Forumite
    Options
    it would be difficult to regulate if it was just for oap's .
    Say I phone mr oil man and ask for 500 liters off oil ,I will say can I have it at oap rate ,he will say yes because he knows I will go elsewhere if he doesnt .
  • Poppycat
    Options
    But the main problem is that the world prices of oil, and the cartel that operate this.

Isn't oil one of the most expensive fuels to heat your home anyway even without the prices they are now. I realise not everyone can get mains gas etc and electric is more expensive to use to heat than gas, but is that still cheaper than oil?
  • frankie
    frankie Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think you would have to include other heat sources other than just oil. Also expensive and suffers the same increase in prices are LPG and coal.

Whilst I am sympathetic to your cause, it really won't address the problem of high fuel prices for the most vulnerable (not just oaps).
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    surfsister wrote: »
    We estimate that cutting the fuel duty on home heating oil for pensioners would benefit tens of thousands of older people.'

Any tax cut, on any commodity, will benefit one section of the community.

The revenue lost will then be raised by increased taxes which will disadvantage another section of the community.
  • oldwiring
    oldwiring Posts: 2,452 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Anyhow I do not think that VAT can be removed once it becomes chargeable on an item.
  • Poppycat
    Options
    Isnt the VAT added anyhow because of the EU directive
  • Fourcandles_3
    Options
    Isn't that what the winter fuel payment is for:confused:? Which is why my dad can have his heating on when he needs it and I can only put it on when the kids noses turn red.
  • gazza975526570
    gazza975526570 Posts: 3,275 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agree with what everyone has had to say.

Its expensive for all age groups, and the older folks do get the winter fuel payment
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Poppycat wrote: »
    Isnt the VAT added anyhow because of the EU directive

I believe the EU directive is that the lowest rate for VAT is 5%.

I may be wrong but I believe that Individual Governments can Zero rate a commodity if they wish - children's clothes were an example.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure