PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Show Jamie How To Cook On A Budget Champagne Contest

Options

Comments

• hedgewytch13
    Options
    Macaroni Cheese with Bacon and Mushroom £2.82
    Handful of mushrooms 36p
    2 slices of bacon 39p
    1 pint of milk 40p
    50g butter 17p
    50g plain flour 16p
    175g Strong cheese 49p
    1 tsp of mustard 25p
    300g macaroni 60p

Grill bacon and mushrooms, put to one side. Heat milk, and add flour and cheese (keep some cheese to one side to sprinkle on top), stirring continually, stir in mustard. Boil pasta. Mix pasta, cheese sauce and bacon and mushrooms together put in oven proof dish and sprinkle cheese on top. Put in oven at 180c for approx 15minutes or until cheese is golden. I'd serve this with a side salad or home made bread.

Fruity Meringue Mess: £1.32
    Summer fruits (71p), mixed with crushed meringues(48P), with natural yogurt (39P)on top and drizzled with honey(20p).

Total: £4.14
  • nickym
    nickym Posts: 481 Forumite
    Options

When does the official judging take place? :cool:
    THE LIFE AND SOUL OF THE PARTY :beer:
  • funkyfunkymonkey
    Options
    kimbi15 wrote: »
    Ingredients
    Tesco Stonebaked Garlic Pizza Bread 253g £1.00
    Tesco Value Spaghetti 500g £0.23
    Tesco Fresh Turkey Mince 500g £1.49
    Tesco Italian Chopped Tomatoes & Herbs 400g £0.42
    Tesco Medium Flan Case 85g £0.36
    Tesco Orange Jelly 135g £0.30
    Tesco Mandarin Segments In Fruit Juice 298g £0.22
    Tesco Fresh Single Cream 150ml £0.40
    Tesco Value Plain Chocolate 100g x 2 £0.50
    Total Cost £4.92

Starter - Garlic Bread - Heat Oven and place garlic bread on a baking tray and cook for 12 - 15mins or until brown. Serve

Main - Spaghetti Bolognese - Bring a pan of water to the boil and add Spaghetti. Meanwhile brown off the turkey mince in a frying pan for 10mins, drain off the fat into the packaging the mince came in, and add the tin of chopped tomatoes with herb and garlic to the mince. Heat and Simmer for 5mins and serve with the Spaghetti.

Dessert - Giant Jaffa Cake - Place the cake flan on a large plate. Drain the mandarin oranges and arrange on the flan case. Add the orange jelly to a jug and add hot water, once slightly cooled pour the liquid over the flan case. Place the flan into the fridge and allow to set for an hour. In a pan boil some water and place a bowl over the pan and melt the chocolate. Pour the chocolate over the flan and place back in the fridge until slightly hard. Serve with cream.

kimbi15, I've just tried your giant jaffa cake - the whole family loved it, I up-sized the flan case to a 220g £0.46, I used a value tin of mandarin segments £0.11, 1/2 pack of the jelly crystals £0.19 and 1.5 bars of value cooking chocolate ('cos it went too hard too fast and I needed to melt an extra 1/2 bar to cover the bare bits :o ) £0.59. So, total cost was £1.35 and would feed 8 people. So, I didn't even increase your costs. (all ingredients bought from Tesco yesterday).

Thank you for posting this recipe, I think it will remain a firm family favourite for a long time to come.

FFM :)
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • lindab15
    lindab15 Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spotted a lovely recipe in a book I got from the library the other day, and made it last night with one or two minor adaptations. Not sure exactly how much, but will estimate prices roughly from the tesco website !

Liver and Bacon (not generally a great liver eater, but this version was gorgeous !)

Approx 0.5 Kg liver - Tesco do 315g pack for 89p
    4-6 rashers of streaky bacon, chopped small (instead of pancetta suggested in recipe) (Tesco - 12-rasher pack = £1.36)
    1 medium onion, finely sliced
    2tbsp plain flour
    seasoning (salt/pepper/herbs)
    1tbsp butter
    1 glass wine (recipe said red, I used white as it's what I had in)
    1tsp tomato puree
    pinch of sugar

Optional - I soak the liver in milk for half an hour before cooking. Makes a difference to the taste/texture.

Potatoes for mash, to serve.

Have the mash ready - this recipe doesn't take long !

Season flour and use to coat evenly-cut slices of liver (about 2 pieces each dep on size). Set aside until needed.

Heat heavy pan / frying pan and melt half the butter - fry the bacon/pancetta until crisp and remove until needed. Fry the onion lightly in same pan until starting to brown. Remove and keep with bacon until needed.

Heat pan again and cook liver for a couple of minutes each side -you want it just cooked but still pink inside. remove from pan and arrange on top of mash on plates.

Last bit only takes a minute or two - reheat same pan and throw in the bacon and onion. Add the wine and stir whilst it bubbles up, getting all the cooking juices/flour etc. Add the tomato puree, last bit of butter, seasoning and the pinch of sugar. Stir well and tip some over each serving of mash and liver to finish it off.

We really enjoyed this - will definitely be making again. Also looked very 'cheffy' and elegant, all piled up on the plate and adorned with sauce - potential dinner party fodder.

I'd guess at around £3 for 4 good servings including the seasonings / mashed potatoes etc. Probably cheaper if you use pigs liver and value bacon etc.

Money left over for extra veggies and another course if required - although this was very filling as it was !
  • irishanny
    Options
    Thought I was the only one made that concoction!! Lol. That was my life saver when times were hard and my children were small..they loved it. Congrats on your determination.
  • irishanny
    Options
    Please do! I could do with that kind of food spending!
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    My family favourite:

Corned Beef Casserole

Feeds 4

1 tin of Corned Beef
    4 large potatoes
    1 medium onion
    couple of handfuls of frozen peas.
    2 beef stock cubes, diluted in about a pint of water.

Method

Slice up the corned beef (put it in the fridge so it is hard), the potatoes, and the onion.
    Layer up an ovenproof dish, in layers of corned beef, potatoes, and onions and peas mixed. Kepp going till you reach the top of the dish. Season if necessary.
    Cover with stock cube gravy.
    Place in a 140 C oven and cook for about an hour till the potatoes are soft. Serve with crusty bread.

Delicious!:T

Cost: About £2 !!!

I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• nickym
    nickym Posts: 481 Forumite
    Options

Mmmmmm sounds yummy!!!
    THE LIFE AND SOUL OF THE PARTY :beer:
  • morwenna
    morwenna Posts: 844 Forumite
    Options
    I thought I would post tonight's dinner:

Diced Beef 400g £2.72
    Red Split Lentils £0.14
    1 Leeks £0.50
    1 Parsnips £0.19
    1 Onions £0.15
    2 Carrots £0.24
    1 Value Chopped Tomatoes £0.21
    Dried Thyme & fresh ground black pepper £0.05?

Beef stock - from freezer £?
    HM loaf £? (Plain white - no fancy flour used.)

Fry beef and veggies, (seasoned with pepper) - chopped into similar sizes, place in SC. Into pan used to brown meat & veggies add stock & toms, herbs, bring to boil, add into SC. Cook on low all day or high for five hours. Set up BM to finish at the same time. Serve stew with hot bread.

I do this meal quite often at weekends, it does more than four portions if you are strict! I'm trying to keep salt intake low here, you could use a stock cube instead of HM stock. Plenty of veggies, some carbs and protein. You will be full up after this one!*

Total cost less than a fiver. The smell in this house as I type? Priceless!!

*Claim tested on teenagers. :rotfl:
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting variation in the price of leeks around the country. I've thanked Morwenna for a realistic price of 50p for one. On another post further back, someone seems to be able to get two for 18p. I'd love to know where! You can't even buy the plants for that, can you?
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport