Plumber rip-off

I recently had a radiator pipe leak repaired which was under a concrete floor. The plumber was at my house for 3.5 hours. Mix-up between wife and myself meant that we didn't get a quote and the plumber left saying he would invoice us. Received invoice for £426! After trying to phone him 3 times and getting no-where, I paid him £226 (£50 call -out , 5 hours work @ £30 and £26 for parts) and asked for a breakdown for the rest. Rec'd reply today confirming he doesn't have to provide breakdown of labour as he works out costs on a job-by-job basis and he requires full payment? What are my rights.? Should I just pay-up and see it as a lesson learnt? Consumer law must protect me?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Welcome to the forum.

Obviously no point it telling you what you should have done.

Has he cashed the cheque?

What did the invoice say?

I believe the situation comes down to what is a fair and reasonable charge in these circumstances.

After all, to use a silly example, what if he had charged £10,000!

I would write and tell him to take you to court.

If he has cashed the cheque say that was in full and final payment.

If he hasn't cashed tell him that you are cancelling the cheque, unless he accepts it as full and final payment.
  • pboae
    pboae Posts: 2,719 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It also depends where you are, it looks like he has charged you £70 an hour, which is the least I'd expect to pay in London, but I know at least one plumber in Yorkshire who charges that (and somehow still manages to get work!)
    When I had my loft converted back into a loft, the neighbours came around and scoffed, and called me retro.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure