Ps3 Wireless Connection (wpa Key)

Options

Comments

• hustle90
    hustle90 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    If you ordered your router from a ISP such as AOL, BT, O2, SKY etc, then the WPA key will be on the bottom of the router.

When you enter the key into the PS3, if it doesn't work the first time, try again using capital letters. :)
  • mikeopvc
    mikeopvc Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Router is:
    Netgear 54mbps DG834G v3 from AOL
    on the back it says
    Default access http://192.168.0.1
    it also has
    Serial (13 characters)
    MAC (12 characters)
    I have tried both of these and none work, I do know my WPA KEY now as I used the nirsof utility to locate it, trouble is when I type the 64 characters in on the ps3 it just says UNABLE TO ESTABLISH A CONNECTION CONTACT YOUR SERVER
  • gaming_guy
    gaming_guy Posts: 6,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    if you have a usb keyboard to hand, try plugging that into the ps3 and entering the code.

what firmware is the ps3 running? (settings > system info > system software i think it is to find out)
    i had issues connecting on a 1.9 firmware, so upgraded it to 2.10 and could connect fine
  • albertross_2
    albertross_2 Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    Options
    Your key is in the wireless screen under

http://192.168.0.1

If it is wpa, it won't be 64 characters.
    Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:
  • mikeopvc
    Options
    I managed to get my ps3 connected last night but only because I used my old router. Trouble is the connection was so poor that we couldn't play online, I need to get connected with the new router I got from AOL but just tried this morning and still the same message,
    A CONNECTION TO THE ACCESS POINT COULD NOT BE ESTABLISHED. CHECK THE SECURITY SETTINGS FOR THE WIRELESS LAN.
    I'm sure there must be a solution and it's probably just a simple setting alteration but I need some guidance. I have logged into both routers and the WPA KEY is the same for both so can't understand why the ps3 connects to one but not the other, I did notice in the wireless network connection properties under wireless networks the only differenceis the data encryption is TKIP for the router that doesn't work and AES for the router that does work, naturally I tried changing to AES but the internet connection is lost on this pc so I figured that can't be the solution.
    There are a few differences in the router login settings but theres so much jargon in there I wouldn't know where to start or what to change, no doubt I'll only make things worse, I did however print off the pages for both routers so have all the info to hand if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks

Mike
  • albertross_2
    Options
    Set them all to tkip, AES isn't supported on older equipment. Case also matters in the password.
  • mikeopvc
    Options
    albertross wrote: »
    Set them all to tkip, AES isn't supported on older equipment. Case also matters in the password.

Thanks for the reply albertross, my new router is already set to TKIP but the ps3 won't connect to it, It connects to the old router straight away but that's set to AES.
    I have tried the key using both lower and upper case but still nothing.
    Also another thing i've noticed that's different is on the basic settings section of the router the old one is
    ENCAPSULATION - PPPoA (PPP over ATM)
    the new router is
    ENCAPSULATION - PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet)

I'm clutching at straws here, there are other differences but not sure if any are relevant to my problem

Thanks

Mike
  • albertross_2
    Options
    Are you putting a hex key in or text?

You haven't setup any mac address filtering on the router have you?

netgear should be over atm
  • mikeopvc
    Options
    Not sure what a hex key is, I'm just typing in the key suggested to me by the helpful chap from AOL when setting up the new router. The key is 18 characters and made up of lower case letters and numbers.
    I havn't set up any mac address filtering on the router ( wouldn't know how to anyway)
    You say netgear should be over atm so do you think that's the problem then?, should I change the new router from ethernet to atm?

Thanks

Mike
  • albertross_2
    Options
    I suggest you try and simplify things.

Attach to the netgear router with a wired ethernet connection, put in an 8 character lowercase wpa-psk/tkip encryption key of you choosing, click apply to save the change.

Then see if you can attach to the internet using a wired connection, if not, change it to over atm, click apply. Make sure you can get on the net with that router before continuing.

Then attach any wireless equipment, one my one, using the same wpa-psk/tkip encryption key, not aes, then try the ps3.

Once you have it all working, and are familiar with the process, you can change the encryption key to a longer one if you wish, to make it more secure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport