Signature request.

Hi, I just noticed my signature's been replaced with the following:
No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3

So I guess I should ask here? It was simply a link to a post in another large thread on this site:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=641303&page=17&highlight=pepsi_max2k#340

purely for easy access for myself (it's taken me a few minutes just to find the thing without the sig link) and for anyone else as it's possibly one of the most useful posts i've put on this site and i've had to direct a number of people towards it, and a sig is just easier :cool: thanks.

Comments

• BritBrat
    BritBrat Posts: 3,764 Forumite
    Good luck getting on the list:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=123850

They seem to have different standards for some.
    Update 1 Feb 2008: Links can no longer automatically be put in signatures. The posters below have asked for and been given permission in the past and we've made sure their links stay. If any find that there's a problem and the link isn't staying please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL] and we'll look into it :)

andrew-b - muscular-dystrophy.org
    Anyone with a link to justgiving.com/claire1986
    Angelina_M - http://shirleyuk.wordpress.com/

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/member.html?find=lastposter&t=694123

Note there is no user with the name "Angelina_M".

And "Angelina-M" has a sig against the rules.
  • queensway_boy
    queensway_boy Posts: 5,990 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    BritBrat wrote: »

CLICK
  • BritBrat
    Take a closer look.

Angelina_M is allowed a sig link but as there is no user by that name that would make the name Angelina-M using a link in sig against the rules.

OK we know it's a typo and I guess someone will fix it soon now that I have drawn attention to the error.
  • pepsi_max2k
    pepsi_max2k Posts: 396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    meh. i can but assume it was a mistake to remove a sig link to the same forum that the sig link is visible in. afterall, if they wanted to remove links to these forums, there wouldn't be much of a forum left would there?

Have updated the sig to make this more obvious, if it goes again i'll get the message, unless someone wants to reply here as to why an internal link would be removed, or who to ask to have one inserted.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    meh. i can but assume it was a mistake to remove a sig link to the same forum that the sig link is visible in. afterall, if they wanted to remove links to these forums, there wouldn't be much of a forum left would there?

Have updated the sig to make this more obvious, if it goes again i'll get the message, unless someone wants to reply here as to why an internal link would be removed, or who to ask to have one inserted.

All links or urls will be removed unless there is permission given and this includes links within MSE. Please read this post by FM here.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=1234930&postcount=16
  • BritBrat
    All links or urls will be removed unless there is permission given and this includes links within MSE. Please read this post by FM here.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=1234930&postcount=16
    Hi all

Im going to clarify this now. We had an instance a few weeks back of someone linking to a thread within MSE that didnt break any rules and we could see no harm in it. Since then, people have make the valid point that this is potentially opening a door for others to abuse.

This, therefore, is the official word - no links in signatures period. Exceptions are charity links or links we specifically sanction as set out in the rules. There will be a closed thread in This Site which we will begin to add to which clarifies the users who have permission to have a link in their signature, and what that sig should say.

Whilst this may take a couple of weeks to populate as we backtrack, it should help provide clarity. If you spot any signature not on the list, please report to us. It may simply be a case that we haven't added to the list.

I hope this helps

If you spot any signature not on the list, please report to us.

As I read it some are allowed links internal or external but the users name and the allowed link will be agreed, and that is the point I am making about Angelina-M AKA Angelina_M she is allowed a link to an external source but not to an internal source but has both in signature.

Maybe they should amend the rules to allow anyone with allowed links can also link to any internal source. But I fear that could get out of hand but as that seems to be what they allow now it could be seen as the rule anyway.
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Signature links (including links within MSE) have been discussed many times in the past few years.

I'm sure the team has taken all the possible different views into account when they made the rules (the ever ending growth of this site must have made it impossible for them to ignore). As members, we should respect their decisions and wait for their decision on whether to allow a signature link or not before posting it.

Apart from the official signature (for their board). Board Guides also have to follow the same rule as every other member as regards links in signatures (we also have to ask permission for extra links).

We are all the same on here, and we should all (equally) respect the rules that are set by the Team.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • BritBrat
    Rex_Mundi wrote: »

We are all the same on here, and we should all (equally) respect the rules that are set by the Team.

I agree with you but it all falls down when they delete peoples sigs that are not against the rules and do not explain why.

Then in the case of Angelina they ignore the rules, or at least it appears they do.

If they read this thread and it's not changed they definitely do.
  • Angelina-M
    Angelina-M Posts: 1,541 Forumite
    BritBrat wrote: »

BritBrat you do know I exist though because you have complained about me before on the forum and to admin.

I get no financial gain for doing my blog. I do it to help MSE members who may be new to keeping a household and like to see step by step picture guides for recipes etc. I don't advertise or link to anything, its just a moneysaving guide. I work really hard on that blog and I'm proud of what I'm doing.

I've got fantastic support from MSE'rs who visit daily. When I did the second show, I made body butters and bath bombs but we didnt have time to show everything so I did a recipe and picture guide for people who were interested enough to find out more.

I do hope that you may visit one day, I've just done a sausage making guide thats going down well - they were delicious too!
  • Thanks BritBrat

I've updated the post to make it clear people with links in signatures can link to that thread to show they have permission if they want to.

Plus I've corrected the mistake I made with Angelina-M's name, sorry about that Angelina_M!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories