Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Feeding and water workers in the house

New Post Advanced Search

Feeding and water workers in the house

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
17 replies 1K views
calleywcalleyw Forumite
9.5K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
I know this is not strictly Moneysaving OS was not sure where else to ask this.

Next week I am having a new combi boiler and rads being installed. Anyway I have been told that it will take up 4 days and depending on the day up two installers.

Now both me and my husband are going to be around but not in the way just to keep an eye on things.

I thought that if I boil a kettle and put it in Jug flask (fancy proper one not the type of one you take to work.)and leave mugs, tea, coffee and sugar out as well as glasses and squash they can get cold water /milk from the fridge.

Thought I would leave some biccies out for them as well. Is that going to be ok.

I know it sounds stupid and I am paying them to do a job. But don't want them to think that I am mean and miserable.

Yours

Calley
Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin

Replies

• Jeet_2Jeet_2 Forumite
    29 posts
    We had a new boiler, rads and pipe work replaced some time ago, and I don't really think they had time for a cupper etc...

If you're really concerned about being hospitable, I'd leave a kettle, mugs, spoons & condiments on the kitchen worktop, and let them sort out the rest.

After all they are adults(and plumbers) and should be able to figure out where to get the water from.
  • calleywcalleyw Forumite
    9.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    jeet wrote:
    We had a new boiler, rads and pipe work replaced some time ago, and I don't really think they had time for a cupper etc...

If you're really concerned about being hospitable, I'd leave a kettle, mugs, spoons & condiments on the kitchen worktop, and let them sort out the rest.

After all they are adults(and plumbers) and should be able to figure out where to get the water from.

As you say I am not 100% they will have time as I have been told they could be here until 6pm each day. I was just going to leave on the kitchen worksurface and let them get on with. And maybe ask if want one if we are going to have one.

Well better make sure the kettle and flask are full before they arrive as they are going to have turn the water off.

And better work out where the nearest public loos are as well. LOL!!!!!!!!

Yours

Calley

• ManAtHomeManAtHome Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't think that's mean at all - I think they'll be well pleased (at least they should be). After all, it's more than you're likely to get (for free) working in a shop or office.
  • aliasojoaliasojo Forumite
    23.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should have done that. I'm too flaming soft for my own good sometimes. I ended up making my heating installers bacon rolls and mugs of tea every day for nearly a week.

Lost count of the choccy biscuits that passed their way too.

Just leave mugs ets out as suggested about and tell them to help themselves when they want tea etc. They're less likely to stop to make their own tea, I wish I'd jleft them to it, job would probably got done quicker too.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • calleywcalleyw Forumite
    9.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    aliasojo wrote:
    I should have done that. I'm too flaming soft for my own good sometimes. I ended up making my heating installers bacon rolls and mugs of tea every day for nearly a week.

Lost count of the choccy biscuits that passed their way too.

Just leave mugs ets out as suggested about and tell them to help themselves when they want tea etc. They're less likely to stop to make their own tea, I wish I'd jleft them to it, job would probably got done quicker too.

Wow you where generous. Don't think I will be making bacon butties though.

Yours

Calley

• se999se999 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    I had builders etc working on a major extension renovation project; I tried leaving biscuits and all the equipment out, but they wouldn't make their own tea/coffee etc. or help themselves even to biscuits.

I ended up doing a few regular tea/coffee sessions each day!
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ones I've had in and out of my place all brought their own flasks and sandwiches - I stopped offering in the end because they never took anything.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • calleyw wrote:
    As you say I am not 100% they will have time as I have been told they could be here until 6pm each day. I was just going to leave on the kitchen worksurface and let them get on with. And maybe ask if want one if we are going to have one.

Well better make sure the kettle and flask are full before they arrive as they are going to have turn the water off.

And better work out where the nearest public loos are as well. LOL!!!!!!!!

Yours

Calley

For the toilets try and get some cheap buckets, you can replace the flush system of a toilet by pouring a bucket of water down. It wont be as effective but it will rid the smell :p

Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.
  • aliasojoaliasojo Forumite
    23.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good idea! Tesco have black ones for 98p just now and B&Q have the same but orange for 99p. :)
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The water was never off for much more than a couple of hours at a time when they did my boiler and radiators. By all means be prepared for no water but I don't think it'll be as bad as you imagine. :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50