We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Don't think I can cope any more

I applied for a Co-op cashminder account last Wednesday, BR on Thursday. I have just recieved a letter to say they can't open the account for me.

Please, please can someone give me some advice. I don't think I can cope with all these problems.

Gambit
«13

Comments

  • philnicandamy
    philnicandamy Posts: 15,685 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Did they give a reason? have you not tried ringing them to ask why? usually the co-op and barclays are pretty BR freindly never known anyone be refused...sometimes they do try and put the account through as a "standard" instead of basic so you'd fail the credit check straight away..the idea of the "basic" account is its not credit checked and is one of the remaining banks that will take BR i'd ring them and ask for an explination as to why you've been refused and tell them again its the basic account you requested as your Bankrupt...sounds to me like they've tried to open a standard account but you'll need to ring them to explain
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
  • Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    gambit wrote: »
    I applied for a Co-op cashminder account last Wednesday, BR on Thursday. I have just recieved a letter to say they can't open the account for me.

    Please, please can someone give me some advice. I don't think I can cope with all these problems.

    Gambit

    Hi Gambit,

    Did they say why they couldn't open it? It's quite often a reason not associated with your bankruptcy, so it may well be worth giving them a ring. Other than that, Barclays have a basic account, and even if they're one of your creditors, they'll still open the account. It only has a cash card, but you could also open one of the top-up MasterCards for any on line shopping.

    The only other advice I can give is just to accept bankruptcy for the roller coaster ride it is. Some days the relief of getting out of debt is awesome, and other days you just never seem to have anything but problems. It does get better; significantly better, the more time elapses, but it can seem a hopeless situation at times.

    I think most of us on the Forum have had some very dark moments, and you just need to keep believing that things will improve; maybe not as soon as you'd like, but they will improve.

    Best regards

    Richard
  • jono_1uk
    jono_1uk Posts: 160 Forumite
    have you rang them and asked what reason you have been refused ?
    i am sure someone said on here that someone has to give you an account.
    1st time i have heard them refuse someone.
    were any of your creditors connected with them ?
  • gambit_2
    gambit_2 Posts: 69 Forumite
    I have been on hold to them for 20 minutes and on top of that my OR letter arrived in the same post.

    Tel interview 31st. Should there be an SOA in the pack as the one on the actual br form wasn't very detailed.

    OMG! I've been so strong up to now and feel like I'm falling down a hole!
  • philnicandamy
    philnicandamy Posts: 15,685 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    You've done amazing up to now gambit....as rich said little hiccups can seem like the whole world is against you when you feel like this

    Stick with the co-op i'm sure someone will have an answer to why you were refused an account...it'll be something simple i'll bet..and if they dont like you..pah! their loss try Barclays. The OR asked for another SOA from me back in march last year..only reason was the forms had been photocopied and they were missing a few bits...I wouldnt worry about it just fill in the same as what you did with the origional one & you'll be ok

    Keep strong & ride it out it'll be worth it in the end you see
    Phil
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,721 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Don't worry to much about the pack. Re-write your own SOA if need be and mention it in your interview. Are you on benefits? If so, then this is not going to be a big issue to them anyway.

    Well, lets see what Co-Op have to say. When I applied they did try several times to "sell" the standard account to me and I had to be quite insistent on the basic (which BTW is taking a long time to get my visa debit!)
  • gambit_2
    gambit_2 Posts: 69 Forumite
    When I got throught they couldn't tell me why it was turned down only gave me an address to write to. They did confirm that I wasn't credit checked. Yes, Barclays are one of my creditors, I'd feel so ashamed contacting them.

    On top of that I have spent the last 6 days trying to get a video to stream to our bloody web site and everything I try fails, wot a bloody week!!!
  • jono_1uk
    jono_1uk Posts: 160 Forumite
    was the address in balloon st mcr ?
  • philnicandamy
    philnicandamy Posts: 15,685 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Wouldnt worry too much....barclays were one of my biggest creditors and they fell over themselves to offer me a basic account....they've been on the phone a few weeks ago asking if I now wanted my old account back debit card/OD & chequebook....no thank you!
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
  • philnicandamy
    philnicandamy Posts: 15,685 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Customer Service Complaints Etc
    PO Box 200
    Delf House
    Southway
    Skelmersdale
    Lancs
    WN8 6GH


    Head Office
    The Co-operative Bank p.l.c.
    PO Box 101
    1 Balloon Street
    Manchester
    M60 4EP Contact Numbers......08457 212 212 or 0845 600 6000
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.