🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

April 2008 Income Tax and NI Changes: How will they affect you?

Options

Comments

• Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ManAtHome wrote: »
    things are much worse near the bottom end.
    meester wrote: »
    you don't actually have to pay tax to get tax relief.

Both valid points, I concede, but these, IMHO, are at the extreme end of things.

Outside of the financially aware audience of MSE (and similar sites,) how many people is this affecting?

Specifically, how many low-wage/no-wage contributors to personal pensions are there? Compared to, say, those earning above the 22/20% marginal tax rate. I'm guessing not that many.

I'd assume there are a darn sight more not contributing to a pension that are (worse) affected, or a lot more who are contributing but are worse off because of the sneaked in NI band increase, that while mentioned in the thread title, strangely wasn't mentioned in the first post of this thread...

This is not to demean the people who contribute and are affected - just that I don't think it applies to most of the people contributing to pension funds.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • XRAT
    XRAT Posts: 240 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dear Meester,

£3800?

Should that be £2808 grossed to £3600???
  • crossleydd42
    crossleydd42 Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    Options
    I feel sorry for those female state pensioners between 60 and 65 who do not benefit from the increased personal allowances for pensioners aged 65+ and will suffer accordingly.

Such a mean-spirited government with a callous indifference to the waekest/poorest members if its society.
    "Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, this is skirting around the issue. The real problem is that the cup is too big."
  • mickyrush
    mickyrush Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with almost everything you say except for one thing,THIS IS NOT a Labour Govt.I've been a Labour supporter all my life and if I know one thing,this shower are more Tory than the bloody Tories!!
  • GOONER222
    Options
    I am in the same situation and feel our Labour government betrayed workers on low incomes and brought more gloom and misery in their lifes. But what can you do?
    Not vote bloody labour anymore.
  • ShelfStacker_3
    ShelfStacker_3 Posts: 2,180 Forumite
    Options
    mickyrush wrote: »
    I agree with almost everything you say except for one thing,THIS IS NOT a Labour Govt.I've been a Labour supporter all my life and if I know one thing,this shower are more Tory than the bloody Tories!!

Sadly for all of us, the only viable alternative right now (the Lib Dems, sadly enough, are nowhere near power) are the actual Tories.

Christ help us...
  • abzie87
    abzie87 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well, I am happy to be on the positive side of the graph. But I can't help but feel that there is something wrong with the worst paid workers being worse off, especially with the effect of other bills rising.
    yeh tell me about it - i work for the nhs and earn just under £15,000 so will be worse off with the changes, but i'm not entitled to any benefits, so what with rising petrol, energy bills, rent, food, and the government fixing our (nhs staff) pay for 3 years - it doesn't give people much incentive to work does it! - the government say they want to reduce the amount of people who just cant be bothered to work - and then they go and make low paid workers take-home pay even lower - tax the poeple who earn more more - they'll hardly notice it anyway
  • MPH80
    MPH80 Posts: 973 Forumite
    Options
    abzie87 wrote: »
    yeh tell me about it - i work for the nhs and earn just under £15,000 so will be worse off with the changes, but i'm not entitled to any benefits

Really? I ran my profile through, except changed the earnings to £15k and I was told I'd get housing benefit and council tax benefit.

It might not apply to you if you pay less rent/council tax than me - but have a look:

https://www.entitledto.co.uk

M.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,106 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    On £15250 per year and taking into consideration the increased personal allowance of £5435 I have calculated that I will be "better" off to the tune of £0.30 per month. Not much use against the rising cost of everything that we have to cope with at the moment.

Thanks to all the non voters on the mainland whose failure to vote allowed this shower of thieves to get into power.:angry:
  • leroy953648
    leroy953648 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    This Government Absolutly Gets my Goat!!!!!

Why Why Why do they constantly sting and penny pinch from people like me, Im single, earn 15,000 per year and lucky enough to own my own home Well (morgage) the last 2 years all i have seen is price rises, tax increases etc etc, I really thought that that was the tory governments job to sting the working class, but labour win that hands down!!!!! I really feel that my last option is to relutently vote BMP cause ive tried the rest, and neither has done me any favors.
    Lets get shot of this lying cheating government and get people in who really do care!! Not posh toffs who were educated in Eton and the likes

Peace.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family