renault : the point?

Options
Renault customer services called to see if i was happy with my car - bought 2 years ago

Well actually im not there is a little problem that i would like renault to look at but they insist i pay the insurance on a courtesy car - fair nuff but my insurance company want to charge me for changing the insurance over for the day to another car and renault wont let me take it 3rd party only - i refuse to pay the car is under warranty and i shouldnt have to pay - like i say not a big problem just a niggle.

Well "sorry about that there is nothing we can do" WHY DID YOU PHONE ME AND ASK IF EVERYTHING WAS OKAY THEN??? :eek: :eek: :eek:
Ready to Go Go!

Comments

• IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If your insurance company charges you to change over then I would consider a new insurance company ... mine never has. Would you allow someone to drive your car without insurance ... I hope not ... car dealers are exactly the same (legal and liability issues involved). If you don't want to pay then find out how long it will take to fix and wait for the car (make sure you let them know you will be waiting) ... some garages may even pick the car up for you (my dealership is happy to pick it up and deliver it back to my place of work F.O.C.).

Unfortunately the law requires us to be insured and the garage is only covering itself. As I have said many times, it is time we stopped insuring everybody else and started insuring ourselves only .. it would do away with this nonsense.

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • Stonk
    Stonk Posts: 937 Forumite
    Options
    I think car dealerships offering "courtesy" cars should buy insurance to cover anyone to drive them. It must be possible - it's like what driving instructors have, or presumably what they themselves have to cover demonstration cars while out being test-driven by all and sundry.

It would cost something, sure, but they can build that into their fees and I don't think it would be at all significant. It would save their customers the hassle of arranging it individually with their own insurance companies. Now that *would* be courteous.
  • Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    On the occasions I've needed a courtesy car from a garage I've been able to get one and paid £5 or £6 for the insurance cover.
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
  • jen_jen_2
    jen_jen_2 Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    Options
    ivan i am quite happy to be insured for myself i just refuse to pay the extra and yes i could get a different insurance company but it is cheap as long as i dont want to drive another car.

what i resent is that the car is under warranty and why should i be out of pocket because its not working properly, if the dealer offered to pay the difference id accept it. my vent is that renault called and asked if there was a problem and when i said yes they said well we cant solve it....

oh its only £11 too but its not fair!! (why isnt there a little man who stamps his feet)
    Ready to Go Go!
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Mark7799 wrote:
    On the occasions I've needed a courtesy car from a garage I've been able to get one and paid £5 or £6 for the insurance cover.
    I bought a (nearly new) Yaris from the local main agent.

Every year (we don't do much mileage), I get it serviced there and ask for a courtesy car for the day because they are on the outskirts of town.

No problem. Just bring your Driving Licence when you come in.

No charge (just replace the petrol you use please).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    jen_jen wrote:
    what i resent is that the car is under warranty and why should i be out of pocket because its not working properly, if the dealer offered to pay the difference id accept it. my vent is that renault called and asked if there was a problem and when i said yes they said well we cant solve it....
    I can see your point but I think it is probably those that have gone before us that have caused this situation (abusing loan cars causing the insurance to go through the roof). What is the problem with the car? I had a Renault a few years ago and the dealership was very good at fixing problems under warranty.
    why isnt there a little man who stamps his feet)
    or one pulling their hair out :D

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • wobbley
    wobbley Posts: 1,965 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'll bet if you were going to buy another Renault and wanted a test drive you'd be insured, even though they probably have one 'Motor Dealer' insurance policy.
    Light blue touchpaper and stand well back !
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Our Citroen garage used to give free courtesy cars, then you had to start paying for them to cover insurance costs. I was sooooo cross when they announced this. Yes, it's only £12, but £12 for a service they used to offer FOC. And the garage had the cheek to say "it's only £12"!

Individual dealers decision I was told by HO, when I raised this point with them about the fact the car needed to go into the garage due to a warrenty issue. My insurance would cover me on the courtesy car 3rd party, but it wasn't good enough for the garage. It all goes back to the fact that most cars companies don't give a damn about you once you've bought the car.:mad:

Wish I'd thought about wobbley's point when I was arguing with the garage over this.:T

So I decided to take them up on the pick up service. Yes, I'd be without a car, but at least I didn't have to pay more money for it...and looked at it as a day to save money on petrol too.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bylromarha wrote:
    My insurance would cover me on the courtesy car 3rd party, but it wasn't good enough for the garage.
    It's not that it's "not good enough for the garage". Are you really going to stump up £7k to replace their Renault Clio (or whatever) when you write it off in an accident which is your own fault? It's completely reasonable for them to expect you to insure it comprehensively.

Now, whether that is a facility which should be included in the cost of the service/warranty repairs is a different matter, but if it is included, it's effectively being subsidised by those customers who don't need a courtesy car, which is no fairer.
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MarkyMarkD wrote:
    It's not that it's "not good enough for the garage". Are you really going to stump up £7k to replace their Renault Clio (or whatever) when you write it off in an accident which is your own fault? It's completely reasonable for them to expect you to insure it comprehensively.

Now, whether that is a facility which should be included in the cost of the service/warranty repairs is a different matter, but if it is included, it's effectively being subsidised by those customers who don't need a courtesy car, which is no fairer.

Fair point about the insurance, although it would never be £7k as the courtesy cars we were given always had holes in the bottom for your feet to push you along! The newest we had was 5 years old...and yes, this is a main Citroen dealer.

I only every used to get their courtesy car to get home from the garage, which is 15 mins away. Not possible to walk with a baby as all dual carriageway. I never used to use the car during the day as the brakes on all 3 cars we had were severely dodgy. The garage even asked us to return one of the cars to replace it when we rang up to complain of dodgy brakes...and guess who paid for the petrol on that one?! The brakes on the other car were no better either...so it was more likely I would have had a write off with their car when I tried to brake and couldn't!

Either way, it doesn't address the OP's point that if a car is under warrenty and it goes wrong, why should the consumer pay extra money for a courtesy car? The breakdown deprives you of your car and to get a replacement FOC for the time your warrentied car is out of action should be standard.

Servicing is different, but my examples are from warrenty faults.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport