citroen c8

Options
cazad
cazad Posts: 41 Forumite
Hi wonder if anyone can help i have a 54plate citroen c8 warranty ran out in september 07.
Have had it to garage as i lost power and was informed that i need a new turbo at the cost of over £900.
The garage put a claim into citren uk asking them to help out with the costs but they have refused on the grounds of the age of car and the fact that the citroen garage will not help out with any of the costs as it is "not one of their cars"

Just wondered if anything like this has happened to anyone else when car just out of warranty.

Not sure about sale of goods act ????
any advice would be greatly appreciated
thanks

Comments

• Smi1er
    Smi1er Posts: 642 Forumite
    Options
    When was car first registered?
    Are you the first owner?
    Does it have a full service history? If so is it from a Citroen dealer?
    Mileage?
  • Pew_Pew_Pew_Lasers!
    Options
    Get a second opinion. Just because the turbo isn't functioning doesn't mean its faulty. Could be something as simple as a turbo actuator, a stuck wastegate, etc.
  • cazad
    Options
    Smi1er wrote: »
    When was car first registered?
    Are you the first owner?
    Does it have a full service history? If so is it from a Citroen dealer?
    Mileage?

Hi thanks for your reply it was first registered on 16/09/04 and had a 3 year warranty.
    I am the second owner and the milage is 44000.
    It has a partial service history
    Thanks
  • cazad
    Options
    Get a second opinion. Just because the turbo isn't functioning doesn't mean its faulty. Could be something as simple as a turbo actuator, a stuck wastegate, etc.

Thanks for that would this cause loss of power at the moment i am only able to get to 30mph tops. Also a couple of days before this happened i had some dark smoke from the exhaust for a couple of minutes.
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Options
    Even with a blown turbo you should be able to coax the thing upto normal speeds. Is it diesel? Could be the FAP filter is blocked and has put the car into limp mode...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=570406
  • cazad
    Options
    yeh its a diesel. the only time i can get above 30 is downhill if i am going up a hill im down to 15-20mph at a push
  • harveybobbles
    Options
    I'd take it else when for another diagnosis. Sounds more like a blockage...
  • Pew_Pew_Pew_Lasers!
    Options
    cazad wrote: »
    Thanks for that would this cause loss of power at the moment i am only able to get to 30mph tops. Also a couple of days before this happened i had some dark smoke from the exhaust for a couple of minutes.

It could be in a limp-home mode (normally reset by restarting the engine), but I would strongly recommend checking the MAF/MAS. This is basically a hot wire in the air intake, the more air that passes over it the cooler it gets, that tells the vehicle's ECU (computer/brain) the volume of air entering the engine so it can adjust the fuel mixture accordingly.

Expect to pay no more than £150 for a new MAF, its normally a ten minute job to change them.

One more thing, does the engine shut down as normal, or does it take a few seconds? And is there any blue smoke from the exhaust?
  • cazad
    Options
    No blue smoke just the smokeout of the exhaust before the low speed problem started. The speed has never come back still only 30mph.

The car does shut down fine
  • harveybobbles
    Options
    As pointed out above regarding the AMM, MAF or MAF. You could pick a 2nd hand one up for about 30 quid tops.

Use www.partsgateway.co.uk or similar...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure