PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Browning meat (merged)

Options

Comments

• annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    My full size cooker is broken at the moment so I am forced not to brown my slow cooker meat after always doing so previously. I think that cosmetically it looks better if browned (esp for sausages and pale meat) but it doesn't change the flavour much. :)
  • ShelBell
    ShelBell Posts: 502 Forumite
    Options
    The only meat I brown is sausage :)
    Weight loss to date - 8st 13lbs :j
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't brown it, there's no difference in the taste.
  • horseinhatman
    Options
    Browning (supposedly) seals the meat and its important for flavour imho
  • davetaylor
    davetaylor Posts: 404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So does anyone ever brown the meat under the grill or is it always in a frying pan?
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi dave,

I've added your thread to an earlier one on whether or not to brown meat for the slow cooker to keep all the replies together.

Pink
  • Pretani
    Pretani Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Options
    the slow cooker draws out the juices in the meat. It's good for soup, simmering hough bone, shin or chicken carcass, but when cooking meat the meat ends up with less flavour than the gravy. Makes nice gravy though.

In my opinion it's better to cook meat in the oven or pan and test temperature with a meat thermometer
  • ShelBell
    ShelBell Posts: 502 Forumite
    Options
    Pretani wrote: »
    the slow cooker draws out the juices in the meat. It's good for soup, simmering hough bone, shin or chicken carcass, but when cooking meat the meat ends up quite dry and all the flavour goes into the gravy. Makes nice gravy though.

In my opinion it's better to cook meat in the oven or pan and test temperature with a meat thermometer

Well I must have a strange slow cooker then, as mine turns out moist and succulent every time!:confused:
    Weight loss to date - 8st 13lbs :j
  • Pretani
    Pretani Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Options
    ShelBell wrote: »
    Well I must have a strange slow cooker then, as mine turns out moist and succulent every time!:confused:

Yes, it may be succulent once you've lifted it out (most of the succulence is water through the steaming process), but all the juices (flavour) has went into the gravey. Try cooking the same meat in the oven using a meat thermometer. It should take a portion of the time to cook (and doesn't shrink so much), remember to let it rest 10 minutes.
  • davetaylor
    Options
    So has anyone ever browned under the grill before?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure