DeVere St Davids Park / Daresbury Park Eating Nearby ???

Options
Hi, we're spending the easter weekend at the DeVere St Davids Park (Nr Chester in Flintshire) and Daresbury Park (Warrington Cheshire)
Can anyone recommend places to eat in the surrounding areas and maybe things to do during the day (we've kids aged 5 & 7).
(We've already planned Chester Zoo for a day)

Many thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• sweetheartlmg
    Options
    Hiya, we live local to St Davids Park, my girls are 5 & 7 years old.

Every Saturday morning I take my girls to Cineworld at Greyhound, they show 3 films for kids at 10am, it's great for mine as they put entertainment on until the show starts (normally games or colouring) It only costs £1 for children/kids. Good start to the day!

Then there is bowling next to cinema open until late, my girls love bowling prices below, we always play 3 games not much more expensive than playing 2 games.

Adult 1 Game £5.752 Games £10.003 Games £11.50 Junior 1 Game £4.752 Games £7.253 Games£8.75

http://www.tenpin.co.uk/home/our_locations/chester.stml

Open really late during the weekend, but need to check times for Easter weekend.

Friday
    12am1am12.30pmSaturday10am1am12.30pmSunday10amMidnight11.30pm

Wizz kids are very close less then 2 minute drive from St Davids, this is a indoor play area. http://www.eatandplay.co.uk/restaurant_info.asp?RID=24

There are lots of places to eat, some great chinese restaurants in Mold.

Hope the above helps
  • curtlyb
    curtlyb Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow cheers for the post sweetheartlmg, really appreciate the info ;)
  • sweetheartlmg
    Options
    I realised a mistake in my reply. Cineworld is £1 for adults & kids.

You could visit Cheshire Oaks Designer Outlet, only about 10 minute drive and they have lots to offer for a day out, obviously the cheap shopping, but for the kids you have Blue planet Aquarium, cineam and much more.
    http://www.visitchester.com/site/things-to-do

Great places to think about here (Deeside ice skating & go-karts only a minute drive away)
    http://www.kidsguide.co.uk/places_to_go/places_to_go.htm

Greenacres Farm is great day out near St Davids: http://www.greenacresfarmpark.co.uk/

Wepre Country park is lovely too:
    http://www.flintshire.gov.uk/webcont/newrealweb.nsf/vwa_docref/jpul63jj2u

Have fun!:rotfl:
  • deva
    deva Posts: 936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    the golden groves is a great pub near wrexham, it is very family friendly as has a small farm and excellent play area- inside and out, the food and beer are good with a cheap, recommended carvery. north wales has plenty of things such as the waterfalls and beaches if the weather is good. if you are national trust members there are plenty of things going on for children at erdigg (n. wales) and speke hall (near daresbry)- i like speke as you can watch all the aeroplanes to.- i would head to fordsham for decent pubs and its cloest nice place to your hotel, there is a nice park with squirrels too.

finally i would recommend chester- river, ampetheatre, roman soldier tours and a decent pub would be the cheshire cat

any specific requests let me know
  • curtlyb
    curtlyb Posts: 676 Forumite
    Options
    Is Chirk Castle worth a visit Deva ?
  • wearside_2
    wearside_2 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    curtlyb wrote: »
    Hi, we're spending the easter weekend at the DeVere St Davids Park (Nr Chester in Flintshire) and Daresbury Park (Warrington Cheshire)
    Can anyone recommend places to eat in the surrounding areas and maybe things to do during the day (we've kids aged 5 & 7).

We are spending Good Friday evening at the DeVere Daresbury Park. As we have seen some bad reviews about the restaurant on Tripadvisor, we are probably going to eat at The Ring o' Bells which is a couple of miles down the road. It is a Chef and Brewer and no doubt cheaper.:D
    To Dare is To Do:beer:
  • Gambler
    Gambler Posts: 3,213 Forumite
    Options
    Is Chirk Castle worth a visit Deva ?

Definitely..............
  • graham47
    graham47 Posts: 77 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wearside wrote: »
    We are spending Good Friday evening at the DeVere Daresbury Park. As we have seen some bad reviews about the restaurant on Tripadvisor, we are probably going to eat at The Ring o' Bells which is a couple of miles down the road. It is a Chef and Brewer and no doubt cheaper.:D

Ring O' Bells has an excellent restaurant and is just across the road from All Saints Church, Daresbury which was once home to Charles Dickens (see Alice In Wonderland stain glass window).
    Can also recommend The Hatton Arms in small village of Hatton (5 mins further down road). Also The Walton Arms do a nice carvery and is also 5 mins down main (A56 ?) road in direction of Warrington and is close to Walton Gardens which has nice (small) childrens play area and a (small) 'petting' zoo.
    Bear in mind though that, being Easter W/End, most pub restaurants will be busy so you may need to book except Walton Arms which doesn't take bookings.

Also you are only 20-30 mins from Liverpool so it could be worth thinking about driving down, park at Kings Dock, and wander round the dock area, go on a Mersey Ferry etc.
  • wearside_2
    wearside_2 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    graham47 wrote: »
    Ring O' Bells has an excellent restaurant and is just across the road from All Saints Church, Daresbury which was once home to Charles Dickens (see Alice In Wonderland stain glass window).
    Can also recommend The Hatton Arms in small village of Hatton (5 mins further down road). Also The Walton Arms do a nice carvery and is also 5 mins down main (A56 ?) road in direction of Warrington and is close to Walton Gardens which has nice (small) childrens play area and a (small) 'petting' zoo.
    Bear in mind though that, being Easter W/End, most pub restaurants will be busy so you may need to book except Walton Arms which doesn't take bookings.

Also you are only 20-30 mins from Liverpool so it could be worth thinking about driving down, park at Kings Dock, and wander round the dock area, go on a Mersey Ferry etc.

I thought that it was Lewis Carroll who was born in Daresbury as Charles Dodgson:confused: I tried to book at the Ring o' Bells but was told that they do not take bookings for two, no matter what the day/public holiday is! However they did take a booking for ten the following day! It's donkeys years since I have been in the Walton Arms, its near to the Crem:eek:
    To Dare is To Do:beer:
  • Liz_the_Whizz
    Options

Hi,

Some good eating suggestions already, so thought I would chip in with a few ideas for kids things - we live near Warrington and have been most places with our 6 yo DS.

If you travel from the Lord Daresbury towards Warrington, Walton Park is nice and handy especially if you eat at the Walton Arms carvery. Nice park with good walks, children's playground and small animal enclosures (obviously not a patch on the brilliant Chester Zoo;) ).

Gullivers theme park (North West Warrington) is a great day out for kids, a lot of rides are suitable for 5-7 age range.

http://www.gulliversfun.co.uk/gullivers.php?parkname=Warrington

Otherwise, depends what yours are into - our DS is mad about science at present so a FREE day out at the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry complete with train rides, hands on exploration centre and a journey through a sewer is his idea of heaven:

http://www.msim.org.uk/

Have a good stay whatever you do!
    "Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm" (Sir Winston Churchill)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure