What is the average electricity units per day?

Options

Comments

• richard1959_2
    Options
    We are only heating one room in the house with a 1.5 KW panel heater set on low setting,1 and the thermostat on 4.Our electric bill is still between £140 and £160 in summer
  • elfoster
    Options
    Desperate for some real advice.

We are in debt with our elec, so they have installed a prepayment meter. It is set with a debt of £5 a week apparently but after only being in since Tues at 9:30 it has cost £30 - thats £6 a day. At this rate we will only be able to have power for 4 days then me, OH and the two kids (both under 5 yrs) will have to sit in cold and dark for the other 3.

What can I do?????
  • Hominu
    Hominu Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    Options
    elfoster wrote: »
    Desperate for some real advice.

[...]

What can I do?????

So many units are you using per day?
  • elfoster
    Options
    Hominu wrote: »
    So many units are you using per day?

According to the meter we have used 274 units in 6 days, nearly 46 units a day!!!!!
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We average around 11 units per day in the winter, less than 9 in the summer - 3 bedroom house with 4 of us here, gas central heating.

It could be more but having experienced a pre pay meter in the past and a current issue with OCD around fire risk, I am a little obsessive about switching everything I possibly can off if it is not in use.

Televisions are always switched off properly, no leaving on standby, same with laptops/games systems, cooker switched off at the wall after use, lights turned off when no one is in the room, energy saving lightbulbs..but we do have a tumble dryer which has to be used at least 3 times a week (children with disabiities, so lots of clothes/bedding washing and drying - a washing line would not cope!)

I currently pay £18 a week for electricity and £12 a week for gas but this tends to give me a credit balance, however I am too eek to reduce the amount just in case....they make nice savings accounts (a nice £147 rebate last week) and gives me peace of mind!

I drive my kids barmy with it though!
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • elfoster
    Options
    SingleSue wrote: »
    We average around 11 units per day in the winter, less than 9 in the summer - 3 bedroom house with 4 of us here, gas central heating.

It could be more but having experienced a pre pay meter in the past and a current issue with OCD around fire risk, I am a little obsessive about switching everything I possibly can off if it is not in use.

Televisions are always switched off properly, no leaving on standby, same with laptops/games systems, cooker switched off at the wall after use, lights turned off when no one is in the room, energy saving lightbulbs..but we do have a tumble dryer which has to be used at least 3 times a week (children with disabiities, so lots of clothes/bedding washing and drying - a washing line would not cope!)

I currently pay £18 a week for electricity and £12 a week for gas but this tends to give me a credit balance, however I am too eek to reduce the amount just in case....they make nice savings accounts (a nice £147 rebate last week) and gives me peace of mind!

I drive my kids barmy with it though!

Thanks for your reply.

I think it is still high, and the elec company can't check it yet as it hasn't been in long enough for it to be on their system (?). I'd be happy (ish) with £30-40 a week, but nearly £10 a day is beyond my means.

I'll keep switching everything off and hope it settles down.
    :idea:

xx
  • richard1959_2
    Options
    Well we are at the stage of cutting the electric off as its costing us £250 a month and we are still cold.British gas say the meter is right and the landlord says there is nothing wrong with the house,we switch everything off and have just been using one panel heater set on 1(low) and 3 setting,tv on for 2 hours and a few energy saver lights
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    elfoster wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

I think it is still high, and the elec company can't check it yet as it hasn't been in long enough for it to be on their system (?). I'd be happy (ish) with £30-40 a week, but nearly £10 a day is beyond my means.

I'll keep switching everything off and hope it settles down.
    :idea:

xx

Have you checked on the meter that the repayment of the debt is at £5 a week? Can't remember which screen it is on but I know it used to say.

It could be that they have set it higher which could be why it is gobbling the money (I used to call my gas prepayment meter the scary gas monster because of its ability to gobble the pennies in very cold weather :D)
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • elfoster
    Options
    SingleSue wrote: »
    Have you checked on the meter that the repayment of the debt is at £5 a week? Can't remember which screen it is on but I know it used to say.

It could be that they have set it higher which could be why it is gobbling the money (I used to call my gas prepayment meter the scary gas monster because of its ability to gobble the pennies in very cold weather :D)

Yep, showing £5 (as they said) but there is another screen with £6.29 on that they haven't explained yet - as we aren't on the system - I could've biked the details to them quicker, lol x

Sorry to see others in a similar boat - here's hoping for a ridiculously hot spring!!!
  • samandmillie
    Options
    Apologies, I should have said that we have oil for heating and water. Thanks for the replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure