New Post Advanced Search

Bread flour question

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
12 replies 4.8K views
SomersetPrincessSomersetPrincess Forumite
279 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
Hi all, I am currently planning my Tesco shop online and I have a question. I buy the usual Tesco strong white bread flour which is about £0.55 per 1.5 kg, which I get 3 loaves out of. The strong wholemeal bread flour is £0.97. Can I use the wholemeal plain or self raising flour instead for making bread in a bread machine, only it is only £0.45! Or do I have to use the strong stuff?

I know the difference between £0.97 and £0.45 isnt much but verey little helps!

Thanks in advance!
Kirsty, Taunton, xxx

Replies

• LoadsabobLoadsabob Forumite
    662 posts
    ✭✭
    Recently a lot of people have been saying the bread rises more if you don't use the strong stuff, so go for it! I've yet to try, but I use organic, and the strong is in fact cheaper as it's in larger bags...ho hum...
  • Thanks loadsabob - anyone got directe xperience of this? Would love it to be true that I can buy the cheaper flour!!
    Kirsty, Taunton, xxx
  • LoadsabobLoadsabob Forumite
    662 posts
    ✭✭
    (Squeaky does!...)
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He sure does after an earlier tip put him wise :)

Own brand plain flour in my Asda is 29 pence. Other own brands are similar in price.

It works fine and tastes fine :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • fazer6fazer6 Forumite
    185 posts
    I've started using any old flour and the bread still comes out fine, plain, self raising, I just bung anything in. I've mixed strong and plain, plain and self raising, used all plain and all self raising.

Tesco value flour is only 21p so that's what I use now. I don't know whether there is a difference in quality of flour so I always only ever by value stuff. Also it takes up less room in the cupboard only having a bag of plain and one of self raising.
  • Thanks guys that has put my mind at rest - I wont be buying the expensive strong stuff in future then - £0.21 Tesco Value plain flour all the way!! I knew I could count on you guys!!!
    Kirsty, Taunton, xxx
  • kingshirkingshir Forumite
    578 posts
    I've only ever used Sainsbury own brand plain flour (cost about 25p a bag) and all the bread recipes come out just fine!
  • kingshirkingshir Forumite
    578 posts
    fazer6 wrote:
    I've started using any old flour and the bread still comes out fine, plain, self raising, I just bung anything in. I've mixed strong and plain, plain and self raising, used all plain and all self raising.

Tesco value flour is only 21p so that's what I use now. I don't know whether there is a difference in quality of flour so I always only ever by value stuff. Also it takes up less room in the cupboard only having a bag of plain and one of self raising.

I've learnt something today, I didn't know you could make bread with self raising flour. Thanks for the info :D
  • rchddap1rchddap1 Forumite
    5.9K posts
    This is something I've been meaning to try myself...will have to give it a go this weekend.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • NileNile Forumite, Board Guide
    14.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that if you are happy with the results you get with soft flour or value/cheap flour you might as well stick with it.

In my experience (years ago when I worked in a flour mill) the highest quality wheat went into the strong/bread making flour. The lower grade wheat went into the soft/biscuit making flour and the rest went into dog biscuit flour.......but the dog biscuit flour had more stringent testing and limits than the flour for human comsumption.:rolleyes:

I've watched a master baker evaluating loaves baked from different grades of flour. It's only by lining up several loaves that you can compare the colour, size, shape, texture and taste of different grades of flour.

My name isn't Fred and I wasn't a graded grader.:D
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.