Back dating water bills - can they?

Options
adaze
adaze Posts: 623 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Can the water/ sewerage companies back date their bills, and if so for how long? I've had a long dig around and all I can find that comes close for Southern Water (my local water company) is that they will bill you every six months, but I think this is just their own target. The energywatch site states energy companies can only backdate a year, BUT does this include water? Any help appreciated, I can't find the answer anywhere :confused:

Comments

• Ephemera
    Ephemera Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Options
    Why are you asking OP? If you've used something surely you should pay for it...! :)
    If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

• adaze
    Options
    Ephemera wrote: »
    Why are you asking OP? If you've used something surely you should pay for it...! :)

Just been sent a bill for an old flat we used to live in, 16 months ago! I don't mind paying but we were on DD and a bill out of the blue is far from expected.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Can you please explain what you mean?

Any company CAN backdate their bills as far back as they wish.

If there has been an error in their billing they can be compelled to rectify their errors.

However if you are asking if they can be compelled to backdate their bills for a change in the basis of your billing - (e.g. changed to a meter from being assessed by Rateable Value, or removal of the surface water drainage charge)
    then the answer is NO.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Adaze,
    Our posts crossed!

Your post #3 is not about backdating bills.

Under UK law you can be asked to pay for any goods and services you have received for up to six years after you received that service.

It is no different to you buying something, or having a repair carried out, you have to pay even if there is a long delay in getting the invoice.

Paying by Direct Debit does not affect the situation at all. Everyone who pays their utility bills can still have a debit balance on their account that has to be paid.

So on the assumption that the water bill from your old address is valid, i.e. you do owe them that amount, then you are liable for that money.
  • quid-itch
    quid-itch Posts: 65 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    After getting silly water bills for a meter that had been removed I finally got a new on installed. South West water very kindly offered to back date charges based on the forthcoming meter consumption rather than demand full water rate tarrif.
    Let the wind free, where e'r you may be.
  • Ephemera
    Ephemera Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Options
    adaze wrote: »
    Just been sent a bill for an old flat we used to live in, 16 months ago! I don't mind paying but we were on DD and a bill out of the blue is far from expected.

I would have a look through your old bills if you still have them, and get your bank statements for that time together and give the company a call! Then you can clear up anything missing.

If you are close enough it may be better to pay them a visit, and ask why it has taken them so long to contact you.

All the best with it!

Eph.
    If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

• olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Energywatch is the consumer watchdog for gas and electricity

The Consumer Council for Water is the consumer watchdog for water
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • adaze
    Options
    As it was sewerage they get their readings from the water company (Mid Kent) apparently the reason for the ridiculously long time to bill me was that it took Mid Kent that long to inform them. Not really an adequate response, bearing in mind Mid Kent took a meter reading 2 days after we moved out. Still I checked our statements and I don't think we have paid. Anyway gave them a bell, they gave me the probably standard response, and I got the amount added to our current DD. I don't mind having to pay for something I used but billing me 16 months later is pushing it!
  • claireyfairy_2
    Options
    Southern Flaming water!!! Do dig out all your old bank statements and check that their records of payments they have taken match those that were actually taken from your account. I know from personal experience that SW seem to do a random thing where they might take money, might not, then might keep an accurate record of it, might not!! I have cancelled my direct debit and told then I will use the same system as they do of maybe making randon payments when it suits me. Do check your bills thoroughly from SW. This has been going on for over a year with me and driving me nuts:mad: It is so wrong as there is no choice about which water company you can use and they supply to lots of elderly adn vulnerable people who may not check their bills. Makes me so angry:mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure