🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Quick! Renew your road tax today!

Options

Comments

• Red_Cat
    Red_Cat Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    Options
    Same here, just did mine at 12:30.

I can't believe that on the notice it states do not apply for the tax disc before the 15th day of the month before the tax disc is due to start. I thought that I would have to pay the post budget price until I read this thread.

Nice one!
    Hoping this year is better than the last. :)
  • klint
    klint Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just read the budget report and, if I understand it correctly, the new rates will take effect on the 22nd March. So no need to rush.

[Edit: I think this is incorrect, see my later post.]
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh well, if I hadn't done it now i'd have probably forgotten and ended up paying the extra. :)
  • klint
    Options
    Actually, I think I have misunderstood the full budget report. It says on p.123: "takes effect from 22 March 2007." I think that's referring to something else.

The actual date that the new rates come into effect is tomorrow! You still have time, if you tax it today, to save yourself £5 (if your car was registered before 2001, £115 goes up to £120 and £180 up to £185.) This is stated in

http://direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    I've just found an old tax disc in the car (bought by previous owner) which cost £155 for 12 months in March 2000... same car that we've just taxed now for £115. Has the price decreased significantly since 2000? :confused:
  • jackieb
    Options
    Crabman wrote: »
    I've just found an old tax disc in the car (bought by previous owner) which cost £155 for 12 months in March 2000... same car that we've just taxed now for £115. Has the price decreased significantly since 2000? :confused:

Probably. Do you have a smaller engined car? I think it's 1.4l or under.
  • djheath
    djheath Posts: 453 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Crabman wrote: »

yeah, in March 2001 I think they introduced this new emissions rated tax scheme. Any car registered before that date would be charged at £115 for engine smalled than 1.6 and any engine over 1.6 would be £180. Any car registered after this date falls into the new A-G tax brackets with variable rates of duty.
  • jackieb
    Options
    Mine has gone up to £210. :( It's just a family saloon - it has a 2l engine.
  • klint
    Options
    djheath wrote: »
    charged at £115 for engine smaller than 1.6

The actual value is 1549cc or under is now £120 (was £115) and 1550cc or over is now £185.

Unfortunately, my wife's car is 1590cc, under 1.6 litre but we still have to pay the more expensive price. They always get you one way or another don't they...
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone got a link to the new VED rates for the bands?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport