Should I go for a 12 or 18 month contract?

Options
kevtrader
kevtrader Posts: 3,270 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I'm thinking of getting a Sony Ericsson K750i on contract. I haven't been on a contract phone before only PAYG phones.

Are 18 month contracts cheaper than 12 month contracts when cashback is involved and which network is a good one to start off with?

Last month I used 280 mins and 150 texts so which tariff is best suited to me?

Thanks
Waddle you do eh?

Comments

• jf2404
    jf2404 Posts: 471 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Go for a 12.

18 month contracts tend to not be very good deals over the whole 18 months.

One big problem is as standard phones come with a 12 month warrenty, so on a 18 month contract if your phone dies in month 14 and you have no insurance, you can't do anything as you can't upgrade until month 18.

Stick with 12 month ones.
  • criminal_smile
    Options
    jf2404 wrote:
    Go for a 12.

18 month contracts tend to not be very good deals over the whole 18 months.

One big problem is as standard phones come with a 12 month warrenty, so on a 18 month contract if your phone dies in month 14 and you have no insurance, you can't do anything as you can't upgrade until month 18.

Stick with 12 month ones.

Not actually correct as you still have your statutory rights under The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended). This will entitle you to reasonable repair for faults (excl. wear and tear or consumer misuse/abuse) for a period of up to 6 years from date of purchase, or the expected lifetime of the item, whichever is shorter.

Still better to go for a 12 mth deal as jf says though. The cashback should work out slightly better on a 12 mth deal, and you will have a fone every 12 months instead of every 18.
    I haven't been asked to tell you that I'm the [highlight]Board Drunk[/highlight] for this board. As the night wears on, my posts will become worse, with simple spelling mistakes, inane ramblings, and a blatant disregard for the truth. I have no authority to do anything, so there's no point asking or telling me. If you see me past midnight, please tell me to get my coat and order me a taxi.

Free Ebay Simple Profit/Loss Spreadsheet. PM me for a download link.
  • kevtrader
    kevtrader Posts: 3,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did have my doubts over the 18 month ones!

I've got another question to ask you guys and it is this. On the Vodaphone, O2 & Orange sites the SE K750i comes with 200 mins plus 500 texts for £30 p/m while the next best deal I've found is one with 200 mins plus 100 texts for £20 p/m (after cashback).

I'm asking this because after the 12 months I'm going to try Martin's haggling technique on the network.

Which one should I go on bearing in mind my plan for when the 12 months is up?

Thanks
    Waddle you do eh?
  • jf2404
    jf2404 Posts: 471 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    £30 per month deal, because you will be spending more and upgrades go off what you spend , not how long you are with them.

The more you spend the better the deal you get.
  • 5limJim
    5limJim Posts: 422 Forumite
    Options
    jf2404 wrote:
    £30 per month deal, because you will be spending more and upgrades go off what you spend , not how long you are with them.

The more you spend the better the deal you get.

Except with 3 it seems, my friends annual bill over his 12month contract was approx £1300, and he didnt get much in the way of a good deal....

By the way I've since shown him the way of the MSE, and he got a much better deal with e2save..
    £4988 Lloyds TSB Mastercard
    £400 O/D Lloyds TSB
    £2650 Lloyds TSB Loan
    £5070 Black Horse Finance

Skint, but I have a plan.... an MSE Plan!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure