Premium Bonds

Replies

• FLEX24FLEX24 Forumite
    28 Posts
    Nice one Sparklyblue, a no cost flutter cant be bad.
    NS&I need 1 clear month before PBs go in the draw so I buy online in last few days for shortest wait. I suppose to go to the nth degree with that is to buy at end of Jan and not where the clear month has 31 days.

Out of interest though, my winning frequency seems to have dropped since they went up to £30K Max holding(50% increase). I bought 25% more on my holding but im sure im getting half as many wins. Perhaps they're adding up for a big one! _party_
  • lipidicmanlipidicman Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    FLEX24 wrote:
    Nice one Sparklyblue, a no cost flutter cant be bad.

That would be lovely, but stop saying this is a no cost flutter, because it ISN'T!

Your stake is erroded by inflation, and you lose any interest you would otherwise get. Also the odds are small compared to other 'flutters' where you risk a little more (or all) of your stake
  • bargain_2bargain_2 Forumite
    231 Posts
    I have £300 pounds bonds for 8 years. Never won a thing I live in hope. i'ts got to be shared into six if we win.
  • Al_MacAl_Mac Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Old father Mac, me dad, keeps records on these things, his stats show £5k, his max single investment, wins more times than any others.

OK it is only one person and one stat, but are £5K chunks the best?

:beer:
  • worldtravellerworldtraveller Forumite
    14K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Al_Mac wrote:
    Old father Mac, me dad, keeps records on these things, his stats show £5k, his max single investment, wins more times than any others

Oh dear, I hope my family don't call me "old" too often :D , but I've held a single premium bond for many (too many!) years now (parents bought it for me in the year I was born) and not one penny (or pence!;) ) in winnings on it. More recently I've held £7K and in the last year I've received around 2% return in prizes. Of course still waiting for the big one!_party_
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • ManAtHomeManAtHome Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Al_Mac wrote:
    Old father Mac, me dad, keeps records on these things, his stats show £5k, his max single investment, wins more times than any others.

OK it is only one person and one stat, but are £5K chunks the best?

:beer:
    No, that's just the way it works. If you have a £5k block you get 5,000 'goes' each month so this should win (in theory) 50 times more often than a £100 block which only gives you 100 goes a month. Given that it's a random draw, there should be no difference between having 1 £5k block and 50 £100 blocks.

Buying £5k blocks does save you a lot of writing/typing though.!
  • I've had some since I was a child, which is too many years to admit to in public, never won a sausage.
    Are our lives all mapped out?
  • bec28bec28 Forumite
    332 Posts
    My grandma bought me £100 worth of premium bonds for my 21st birthday (am now 28) and last year I won for the first time. Got £500 so was really pleased with that especially as we had just moved house so the extra cash came in handy.
    Am thinking of buying some for my two children now as well.
    Registered Childminder and mum of three.

Aiming to have money in our saving account by the end of the year and be in control of our debts.
  • Poppy9Poppy9 Forumite
    18.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We all had £10 of bonds bought for us as children. Eldest sibling is 50 and not one of us has won a bean in all those years. 10 years ago I bought £200 for my daughter. Again - not a bean. :(
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides