We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Contents insurance for rented home

Options
Hello everyone,
We need to buy contents insurance for our new rented home. It needs to have accidental damage cover for both the landlord and our contents. Wheres the best/cheapest place to get this???? Is this normally standard?? No idea where to start!!

Thanks!!

Comments

• poppy_f1
    poppy_f1 Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    http://www.moneysupermarket.com/home/ would be a good place to start so you can work out the figures
  • twinklyspecialkag
    Options
    poppy_f1 wrote: »
    http://www.moneysupermarket.com/home/ would be a good place to start so you can work out the figures

Thanks poppy! ive been through the main article on home insurance. Does accidential damage cover both yours and the landlords? Cant find it written clearly anywhere.

thanks
  • MortgageMamma
    MortgageMamma Posts: 6,686 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would suggest you call a local brokerage and ask them for something that offers tenants liability cover, so say if you break a window accidentally then it woudl be covered, as otherwise for this type of thing you usually need buildings insurance, contents alone wouldnt cover it
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Becky_2
    Becky_2 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Options
    Hi twinklyspecialkag!

In January I started a similar thread, since I need content insurance for my room only. I know you a are looking for somthing slightly different but perhaps yoy might find the information which was posted there useful.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=673781

Good luck

Becky
    No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting £1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = £261. Pot 5=£23
    Boots points:£39.21. Extra money in 2012:£674.59. In 2013 £603.48. 2014: £85. 2015: £0 :j
  • magicdamo1984
    Options
    you wouldnt be able to cover your landlords contents if that is what your asking for,nor should you want to.
  • twinklyspecialkag
    Options
    :money:
    you wouldnt be able to cover your landlords contents if that is what your asking for,nor should you want to.

Thanks for all the replies. Why is that magicdamo? Im the agreement it says that we need to get insurance that covers both theirs & our contents...even though the property is unfurnished.

thanks
  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to have an 'insurable interest' in something in order to insure it. In this case, that means it has to belong to you. You can't insure property that belongs to someone else. Your landlord is responsible for insuring their possessions in the house (i.e. if they have kitchen appliances in there etc).

If a window is broken, that is part of the building, so not insurable under contents insurance. The landlord may, however, ask you to pay or withold some of your deposit if he/she thinks you are liable.
  • easynotec3
    easynotec3 Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    I'm assuming the landlord means that you need to have cover in place in case you damage something like the bath, sink, kitchen worktops etc. If that is the case you will need to take out contents cover for your own items and "Landlords Fixtures and Fittings" cover for the fixed items (similar to buildings cover but as stated - only covers fixtures and fittings not classed as contents).
  • twinklyspecialkag
    Options
    Thats great, thank you for the info. I think i need to talk to the agent and get them to be alot more specific in what they need.

Many thanks!!!
  • jeppy
    jeppy Posts: 3,428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wyndham wrote: »
    You need to have an 'insurable interest' in something in order to insure it. In this case, that means it has to belong to you. You can't insure property that belongs to someone else. Your landlord is responsible for insuring their possessions in the house (i.e. if they have kitchen appliances in there etc).

If a window is broken, that is part of the building, so not insurable under contents insurance. The landlord may, however, ask you to pay or withold some of your deposit if he/she thinks you are liable.

This is different! You can get this insurance through Let Plan or Homelet

It includes your contents in full and extends to inc your landlords contents for around £500 Covering your deposit!!
    ACII and Chartered so now I can focus on learning to play my beautiful Sax. 🎷
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure