🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Is my immersion heater kaput?

Options
Hi, my hot water tank took a very long time heating up water the other day (about 3 hours to get lukewarm), and now has stopped heating up the water altogether. The tank and immersion were only installed 6 months ago (Can I find a warranty or guarantee or receipt - no!). There have been a couple ofoccasions where I have forgotten about the heater being on and it has been on continuously for 2 days - would this have caused the immersion to burn out?

How much would be a fair price for a plumber replacing the immersion? Thanks in advance for any advice!
2015 wins: Jan: Leeds Castle tickets; Feb: Kindle Fire, Years supply Ricola March: £50 Sports Direct voucher April: DSLR camera June: £500 Bingo July: £50 co-op voucher

Comments

• jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    First, it should last years, not 6 months. Leaving it on will not cause it to burn out.

Is there a reset button ? Turn off the power, remove the cover where the wire goes in, there should be a thermostat in there and also possibly a tiny red reset button on the thermostat.

Otherwise I would complain strongly to the original installer.

If you need to pay to replace, I would get an electrician rather than a plumber.
  • amarg
    amarg Posts: 216 Forumite
    Options
    Firstly I would check the fuse is ok, there could be two fuses- one at the consumer unit and one in a fused connection unit (if there is one).

As already pointed out an immersion heater element should last years.

These pages might help
    testing a fuse

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/plumb_immersion_heater.htm

If the immersion heater is broken then replacing it is difficult and is a job for a plumber. Removing the old immersion heater element can be extremely difficult.
  • peeedoffandskint
    Options

If you need to pay to replace, I would get an electrician rather than a plumber.

i wouldnt, as it cant be changed without draining down.

cost of a new one is less than £20 getting it changed isnt hard just can take some time. if you decide to call a plumber. drain the system down first, that'll save a few quid off his bill as he wont be getting paid to sit and wait for it to drain!
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

If you heat your water by immersion alone and the new immersion was a standard copper one (say £20),then it is possible that the element has failed.
    As the water heated to luke warm then stopped I would suspect the element as if it were to be a fuse or over heat stat tripping ,it would stop heating immediately.

Buy a Incaloy or Titanium immersion and it will last longer.
    You could buy yourself an immersion spanner and DIY, six months old , it should come out easily.

Corgi Guy.

PS Is the switch burning out?
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • baldelectrician
    baldelectrician Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Get an electrician in.

It may be one of these new fangled immersion heaters that have a built in thermostat AND a over limit thermostat.

It is quite common for these to give problems.

The other thing could be faulty / poor / loose connections, this is why I am suggesting an electrician. It unlikely to be a faulty eliment after 6 months.

Only the newer immersion heaters have these over limit cut outs (and new thermostats)
    baldly going on...
  • JoJoB
    JoJoB Posts: 2,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, I will get a plumber round next week by the looks of things. The lighting is poor by the tank so I will check tomorrow if there is an override button on the thermostat. The immersion is a heatrae pullin I think - tbh, the thermostat looks very confusing to me. Are there not supposed to be numbers on it so i know what temperature it is set to? It just has a + and - sign and an arrow which can be pointed to either which is fully turned to the + sign at the moment. Didn't notice a button to press on it but will check tomorrow.
    2015 wins: Jan: Leeds Castle tickets; Feb: Kindle Fire, Years supply Ricola March: £50 Sports Direct voucher April: DSLR camera June: £500 Bingo July: £50 co-op voucher
  • leftfield20
    leftfield20 Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Look carefully near the + and - as you say the light is not good so you could be missing some numbers (in °C) that range form say 40 to 80. Mine is (i think) set at 50. Perhaps yours is too high and is tripping before its heating (as others have said).
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    JoJoB wrote: »
    I will get a plumber round next week by the looks of things.
    I would still suggest an electrician
    An electricain should be able to use a ohm / Meg ohm meter to check if the element is intact and if it is burst, in about 5 minutes

Or you could a plumber who could take up to 2 hours to drain down the tank to SEE if the element is faulty :D
    You should use a competent person for the work, links below
    In Scotland:
    Individuals regitered;
    http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/ListAC.asp
    Companies
    http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/SearchCo.asp?T=Construction&ID=2
    In England and Wales:
    http://www.competentperson.co.uk
    baldly going on...
  • JoJoB
    JoJoB Posts: 2,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Ok then. :D

Electrician it is!
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Or you could a plumber who could take up to 2 hours to drain down the tank to SEE if the element is faulty :D

Good morning: Or a plumber who has electrical qualifications and can conduct appropriate tests without a drain-down eg. my OH:D Visit http://www.trustcorgi.com/findinstaller/findaninstaller.htmx for more info

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport