We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Honeymoon help
Serendipity_phoenix
Posts: 231 Forumite
Hi, My husband and I have never had a honeymoon:sad:
or holiday:( .....
or date
!
We live hand to mouth basically, but I so want to get a cheap holiday somewhere...anywhere (hot) for him as a surprise;) , he is amazing, and has been my reason to keep going, as i have many health issues with clinical depression and PTSD because of a abusive 10 year relationship before him:rolleyes: ,(the guy is still trying to ruin our lives:mad: ) I have a 6yr old son, that is now "our" son, as he has taken on completely as his own.:A
The one thing that bothers him is we never had a honeymoon, we got married really cheaply, reg office, on a Friday, only drinks after etc:D
that was nearly two years ago!
My question is, is there any web site that people sell there holidays on if they suddenly find they cant go? apart from eBay of course!:p
I have looked into last minute and all the so called cheap web sites but sadly that aren't cheap enough!:undecided
:idea: any ideas!:huh:
or holiday:( .....
or date
We live hand to mouth basically, but I so want to get a cheap holiday somewhere...anywhere (hot) for him as a surprise;) , he is amazing, and has been my reason to keep going, as i have many health issues with clinical depression and PTSD because of a abusive 10 year relationship before him:rolleyes: ,(the guy is still trying to ruin our lives:mad: ) I have a 6yr old son, that is now "our" son, as he has taken on completely as his own.:A
The one thing that bothers him is we never had a honeymoon, we got married really cheaply, reg office, on a Friday, only drinks after etc:D
that was nearly two years ago!
My question is, is there any web site that people sell there holidays on if they suddenly find they cant go? apart from eBay of course!:p
I have looked into last minute and all the so called cheap web sites but sadly that aren't cheap enough!:undecided
:idea: any ideas!:huh:
:heart: BIG Thank you to Competition posters & the person who created the "entered" button!
0
Comments
-
Hi Digitalsgirl
Firstly it is good to hear that you have escaped an abusive relationship and found yourself such a wonderful husband.
I'm not an expert but saw that no-one else had replied to you so I thought I would just give you my thoughts on the matter.
I am unaware of any websites where people sell holidays - I didn't even know they did it on eBay, so thats how informed I am. I would have thought that most sensible people would have taken out holiday insurance to cover themselves in the event of being unable to take their holiday.
To the question of the holiday itself - it is a lovely thought that you want to surprise your husband but at this point in time is it really realistic for you? When I got married four years ago we were unable to take a honeymoon due to finances and me having a serious health condition but that didn't matter to us, we were just so overjoyed to be married everything else was secondary.
It is sad to hear that it really bothers your OH that you didn't take a honeymoon - have you tried to reassure him that its not important and that you will make up for it when you are in a better position financially to do so?
What concerns me, and I truly hope that you do not take offence at this - is that you say that you are living 'hand to mouth' at the moment. If this is the case then it would appear the only way you can afford to take a holiday is by placing yourself in debt to do so which in turn may possibly put a strain on your relationship and certainly have an adverse effect on your day to day finances.
Let us assume that there is some website where people do 'sell on' holidays. It is not just the cost of the holiday itself. You need to think about other possible expenses - passports, insurance, vaccinations, travel to and from the airport and or airport car parking, spending money etc etc, there are probably more associated expenses that I cannot think of atm.
If you are looking for the cheapest holiday for sale I should imagine that would be a SC one and the spending money needed can soon add up. Even if you found an AI holiday that doesn't necessarily mean you won't need spending money at all - sometimes you have to pay for items like drinking water and other things that aren't covered by the AI option.
You say that you have looked at last minute and cheap websites but they aren't cheap enough. What sort of budget are you looking at? (bearing in mind you would need to factor in the additional expenses I have mentioned above.
It is something that I have never done myself but I should imagine your very cheapest option would be to take advantage of the budget flights and book your accomodation separately and there is a wealth of information on this site dealing with exactly that subject.
Alternatively does it have to be abroad and somewhere hot? Maybe you should have a look at taking a cheap holiday in the UK? You could achieve that with minimum expenditure - borrow a tent from a friend and go camping for a week, look out for promotions like the Sun (I think?) £9.50 holidays, find a nice little b&b and have a romantic short break away somewhere?
It really is the thought that counts and I'm sure your OH would be really touched at you making the effort to arrange a surprise holiday no matter what the destination.0 -
Also i'd like to add that you be real careful 'buying' holidays from e-bay (I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole, but someone else might explain that side better), and be careful of companies offering holidays that seem too good to be true. You're just the kind of person that might be targetted unfortunately.
Maybe you could put a little aside on a monthly basis, and target booking something last minute in a quiet time (i.e. May or October) when you might be able to get something for under £500 for the 2/3 of you (ignoring school for a minute!). Check any deals you are unsure about here.
And I hope you get your honeymoon, it really sounds like you deserve it :beer:0 -
Hello Digitalsgirl....
Sorry to hear you and your hubby haven't had a Honeymoon. I went thru the same thing. We got married in an office too and didn't have a Honeymoon til the 2nd year. We went to Spain for 2 weeks in May actually and had a lovely time.
He's turning 30 this month and as a special gift....I surprised him with a trip to Spain next month. Found a great deal on flights etc. and although it's not high season it was in my price range
I buy alot from ebay but holidays from there? Hmmm I would pass on!
You don't tell us your budget but maybe these links could help you?
https://www.goingplaces.co.uk/AniteNextPage.asp?p=LATEDEALS&s=762098998
https://www.holidayhypermarket.co.uk
https://www.cheapholidaydeals.co.uk/lastminute/holidays
http://travel.sky.com/home
Hope one of them help
*If you like the advice I give...let me know by clicking the THANKS button*
0 -
Hi Thanks for the replies so far
Dont panic! :eek: I am not going to buy the holiday on ebay.....:rolleyes: thats why i said "other than ebay"in my post!
I am well aware of the hidden costs!
as believe it or not, i have been on holidays...once upon a time!:p
I have looked into breaks in this country but to be honest they work out just as if not more expensive than abroad!
and we so need to feel the sun to sooth away the stress!:cool:
sam bee, thats exactly what i was thinking!:T
I would like to get about £400-500 saved, but is there anywhere that i could be thinking of for that little? :huh: (it would be just the two of us btw)
I know a honeymoon is not the be all and end all, but It is something i would like to do for him,:happyhear as we have been through/are going through so much
.
I was thinking of the end of may/beginning of june as this is his birthday too?
If not any time after 6th august:undecided
to anywhere hot!:D
thanks for the links...off to have a look
:heart: BIG Thank you to Competition posters & the person who created the "entered" button!
0 -
Hi,
do you have any Tesco vouchers?
we used ours for eurotunnel trips, they paid for £400 worth!
Tesco Clubcard also do Holidays too
Or try http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk if you don't mind self catering
eg - self catering apartment below in spain
ref http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S6560.htm
is only 45 euros a night and flights to Murcia are cheap
Others are from £150 a week - take a look!I often think about The Samuel Vimes 'Boots' Theory Of Socio-Economic Injustice. :cool:0 -
Digitalsgirl
I did not mean to sound patronising in my post, merely offering some advice on the information that you had given that you were living 'hand to mouth'. If you can save £400/£500 between now and the end of May it is not what I had taken 'living hand to mouth' to mean, hence my reasons for suggesting that maybe you wait a while or explore some money saving UK options instead.
If you have that budget available then I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to pick up a last minute holiday outside of school holiday times to suit your requirements.0 -
I'm by no means an expert on holidays but you might want to try Turkey if you're looking for somewhere cheap. I'd suggest a late deal too, my parents got a brilliant deal last year £800 for them and my younger sister, 2 weeks in a 4* hotel. I know thats out of your price range but you will be able to get something cheaper I would have thought, we only stayed in a 2* hotel when we went and it was fine so I'm sure you'd find something. That was booked at the beginning of May for middle of June. Turkey's a brilliant place too.
What airport would you be looking at flying from?0 -
£400 by the end of may would be a struggle, but i am willing to give it a go!
that villa looks lovely....dream!
i will look at the link, thanks
exeter is the nearest, but i suppose london is best??:heart: BIG Thank you to Competition posters & the person who created the "entered" button!
0 -
Just found this for you
Turkey (Antalya) > Alanya > Parador Apts Sc



7 nights, Self Catering
Price per person
£198 Total holiday price£396 Includes online discount of£0 Flight outbound
Flight return
Departs Exeter 18 May 2008 at 18:50 Arrives Turkey (Antalya) 19 May 2008 at 02:55
Departs Turkey (Antalya) 25 May 2008 at 16:20 Arrives Exeter 25 May 2008 at 19:05 0 -
Wow! that is good
I'm going to look that up, thanks!
btw incapuppy, I wasnt meaning you sounded patronizing, sorry if you read it like that.:heart: BIG Thank you to Competition posters & the person who created the "entered" button!
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards