Genealogy

Options
Hi
I am researching my family history and have got a LONG way back on one side as fortunately I had a bit of info on one side and managed to link up to a family that has been researched a lot. On my father's side though I can't get past my grandparents. I have found their places of birth etc. from the records on Ancestry.co.uk, but there is no way to find their parents names from there. Does anyone know af a way to get parents names from 1905 or so without paying out for birth certificates? This is in North Wales

Comments

• whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    Have you visited the Records Office that holds the parish registers?
    You may come across more details in the Baptism register, especially if thet were stayed in the same area and attended the same church for christenings and marriages.
    You may have to bite the bullet and get the certificates, at least prior to 1901 you can have a hunt on the cencus returns.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Options
    Are records available through any national source that anyone knows as I am 100+ miles away from their birthplace.
  • mellyp
    mellyp Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi

can't answer your query i'm afraid, but just wanted to point out to you a forum that i have only recently found, there are boards on there that cover everything to do with genealogy, including forums for each county, where you can post look up requests as a lot of members on there have access to church registers etc., so you may find someone who has the information for the county you need and could look up some information for you.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/

I have been doing my family tree for over a year now and have only just found this forum and i have had a lot of help from there already.

Good luck with it, it can become very addictive
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    Yes have used freebmd. I have managed to get one side back to Odin!!! I have been doing this for about 5 years, but one side of my family are Canadian and Scottish and their records are held seperately. Freebmd unfortunately doesn't list parents names. I find IGI good as is Ancestry.com. It is just that leap to get back to census data that I need.
  • dementedhousewife
    Options
    It can be quite frustrating.
    I myself are also at a dead end.
    Been trying to search ireland but there info i have been told has a 100 year hold so i cant trace my Great Grandparents on my Dads side
    Comping & Coupons!
  • nesssie1702
    nesssie1702 Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been researching my family tree and using GenesReunited website for it. They've got access to the online Census info, but also there's the "Hotmatch" facility which matches your names entered along with everyone elses on their database, so you could come accross family members that way too.
  • adecor
    adecor Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could try www.rootsweb.com It's very USA orientated, but you might find some useful stuff as they have a lot of ancestors over here.
  • Sola
    Sola Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Options
    I have managed to get one side back to Odin!!!

You as well, huh? Encountered Eystein Glumra the Noisy or Aud the Deep-Minded?
  • snowmaid
    snowmaid Posts: 3,494 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I am researching my family history and have got a LONG way back on one side as fortunately I had a bit of info on one side and managed to link up to a family that has been researched a lot. On my father's side though I can't get past my grandparents. I have found their places of birth etc. from the records on Ancestry.co.uk, but there is no way to find their parents names from there. Does anyone know af a way to get parents names from 1905 or so without paying out for birth certificates? This is in North Wales

Are you situated anywhere near Essex? If so, the LDS Church are holding a 'family search' on the road, one at Iilford and one at South end on Sea. There will be experienced people on hand to help you search and get started, with access to the database and how to use it. The one at Iilford started yesterday and will be on until 8th March. It is free entry. Take along your dates etc and they will help you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure