Cheaper Water Bills Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• eskeydog
    Options
    Hi there, I am hoping for some advise.

We have just recently moved to a new house approx 6 miles away from our last house. The property now has one extra bedroom and a downstairs w/c.

There is my wife and I, along with 2 children under three.

Our water bill at the last house was £201 per annum (unmetered) - this was with south east water.

Our new water bill is £482 per annum (unmetered) - with southern water. I understand a meter with 4 people in the house isn't worth it - is this correct?

I can not understand how a bill can go up by so much, when the properties are relatively similar, and are pretty close to each other. I was expecting a slight rise maybe upto about £100 a year more but certainly not £281 more.

Does anyone have any advise for me?!
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    eskeydog wrote: »
    Hi there, I am hoping for some advise.

We have just recently moved to a new house approx 6 miles away from our last house. The property now has one extra bedroom and a downstairs w/c.

There is my wife and I, along with 2 children under three.

Our water bill at the last house was £201 per annum (unmetered) - this was with south east water.

Our new water bill is £482 per annum (unmetered) - with southern water. I understand a meter with 4 people in the house isn't worth it - is this correct?

I can not understand how a bill can go up by so much, when the properties are relatively similar, and are pretty close to each other. I was expecting a slight rise maybe upto about £100 a year more but certainly not £281 more.

Does anyone have any advise for me?!

Don't get a meter whatever you do. There are 4 people in our house and we don't have a bath only a shower, only use the washing machine at weekends but do have a dishwasher. We are on a meter and have just had a letter to say that our monthly payment has been increased to £54.90 (£658 pa) which to us is an enormous amount. The reason for this is 'to bring the payment plan into line with your current level of use'. I'm not quite sure what to do about this because I am sure we are not using that amount of water. Will ask OH to check the meter for leaks.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Last house didnt have a meter and we didnt have to pay this kind of money. I wish we could go back to not having one.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• limefam
    Options
    Do you know where I can find out if we have to continue to pay the water bill for an empty property when we move out? It is not metered. United utilities website only has FAQ which do not address this
    Thanks
    Limefam
  • Lukey84
    Lukey84 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

We have moved house recently and it is the first time me and my partner have had to do the grown up things and sort out our council tax and stuff on our own! We need to register for water but have no idea how to go about it. I have tried googleing it and that doesnt help, I have been on YW website and it is useless.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks
  • Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    Options
    Depends on who supplies you ? As I have no idea where you are I am going to guess and say.

Call YW and register an account. They have a phone number on their web site and they can walk you through what needs to be done.
    If it aint their area they might be able to advise which company supplies you.
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • saverbynature
    Options
    limefam wrote: »
    Do you know where I can find out if we have to continue to pay the water bill for an empty property when we move out? It is not metered. United utilities website only has FAQ which do not address this
    Thanks
    Limefam

Limefan your water company will confirm but unfortunately I think you will have to to pay even though the property is empty. I am having to pay the full water bill for my late mother's house which is unoccupied but doesn't have a meter with Southern Water. The only other options were:

1. to have the water supply cut off, but as I need to clear out the property and don't live nearby so need to stay when I visit this wasn't an option.

2. Apply for a meter to be fitted
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    limefam wrote: »
    Thanks
    Limefam

I was with severn trent and moved out of a property leaving it empty but still the owner and they stopped charging me the day I moved out. I just phoned them on the off chancing, thinking I'd still be liable but they said not if no one was residing there. They didn't cut the water supply off either, it still had water months later.
  • geejaybee
    Options
    I am considering moving to a meter as calcs show I could half my bills. Reading through the posts here the thing that surprises me the most is how small the non-metered bills are in some places.
    I live in quite a poor area in inner-city Cardiff in a Band E house and the non-metered charges for this year are £644p.a. Estimated metered use will be approx £335p.a
    How does this compare ?
  • edrushuk
    edrushuk Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello every, like most people I am quering my water bills

I live alone, working full time in a one bed flat, a new build. I shower daily with a bath 1/2 a week. Normally 3 full washing machine loads a week. Washing up 1 a week (yes I am a lazy cow), and I am not a big cook.

I am with Yorkshire Water and my last water bill was £115 for the quarter (about £40pm)! I am in Leeds city centre.

I think this is high. I have spoken to YW and they are adamant that this is correct as my water is on a meter and they are taking readings. I am in a block of flats and my meters (both water & electric) are locked away and I dont have access to them, so it is difficult to check as I need to go through my management company each time I need a separate reading

If it is correct then, I will accept it, but £456 a year seem steep compared to others.

I would appreciate any opinions. I hope this all make sense.

Thank you! Susanna
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure