Would you steal someone else’s post? Poll Results/Discussion

Options

Comments

• Tojo_Ralph
    Tojo_Ralph Posts: 8,373 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can only assume that we are really hard up for subjects, however for the record....

C) Recycle it.... thus, according to the OP I'd be stealing it..... Me bad. :rolleyes:

P.S. A poll would have been the sensible thing and thus we'd have exposed MSE as a den of thieves. ;)
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • westferret
    westferret Posts: 327 Forumite
    Options
    probably return it with occupier not as this address to stop getting junk mail
  • Virago_2
    Virago_2 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I think it is the responsibility of the previous occupier to arrange to have their mail forwarded by the post office, and to leave a forwarding address with the new occupiers in case the post office gets it wrong - if they don't, they forfeit any ownership of the mail.

Our previous occupiers did neither of the above and for two years I returned every item to the senders. Some of them were clearly financial statements and I did wonder why they hadn't been informed of the new address. We still receive mail for them, but it's obviously junk mail and I put it in the recycling bin.

Virago
  • daisykinn1
    daisykinn1 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    I would return the first lot then if I get anymore read it then recycle. In my last place I got credit cards, cheque books and even a passport in the post for the same woman. Why wouldn't you change your address with these people!! I returned EVERYTHING to sender but after a year the same companies were sending an enormous amount of mail.

Just moved into our new place and we get at least 2 pieces of mail a day for previous tenants. I use the royal mail redirect service...you never know who's living in your old house!
  • Frootov
    Frootov Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Cameron wrote: »
    If you recieved a letter addressed to someone else....what would you do!

Bearing in mind the post office loose millions upon millions of letters! - that is some pile of post where do they go?

I'll tell you where they go.
    In recycle bins all over the country. After being read, probably. :)
    I'm a Yorkshireman. I say it as I see it.
    No offense is intended.:p
  • meyore
    meyore Posts: 2,721 Forumite
    Options
    We used to get post for the previous owner of our house, so I just wrote "not known at this address" on the front and posted it again. It stopped coming eventually, but I would never open someone elses post anyway.
    :heartpuls :love: :heartpuls
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    meyore wrote: »
    We used to get post for the previous owner of our house, so I just wrote "not known at this address" on the front and posted it again. It stopped coming eventually, but I would never open someone elses post anyway.

the problem is many companies dont update records or buy very old ,cheap mailing lists

at work i get mail for people who died years ago
    companies who moved away years ago,even for a set of offices that have long been knocked down and flats built on them
    debt collectors just seem to keep sending letters to the last address they have.
    though many buisinesses are just as bad. we used to have an RBS main office covered by my office.
    they moved about 3 years ago to a largers RBS complex and had a redirection in place.
    this has long since expired and even though RBS have been advised of this we get probably 150+ letters a day to the old address including special deliverys!
  • irishwench69
    Options
    For this particular case, I would open the mag and read it. Generally though, I write 'not known at this address' and put it through the postbox.

IW x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 222 :beer:
    :T Debt free wannabe - Proud to be dealing with my debts! :T

Remember the MoneySaving mantras!

IF YOU'RE SKINT......
    Do I need it? Can I afford it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?

IF YOU'RE NOT SKINT......
    Will I use it? Is it worth it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?
  • AMJRW
    AMJRW Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I always open every item of post that comes through the door.

It was a new property so has never had any previous occupiers.

It amazes me how much stuff arrives with other peoples names on, One woman had applied for several bank accounts and credit cards and also a job at a bank over 100 miles away, I contacted them & said this named person doesnt and has never lived here & maybe they should call the police f they do turn up for an interview.

Then we get bills from utility providers thinking us for switching to them, Which i know nothing about.

OK if you know its for somebody else, thats one thing but if its an unknown name or item i would always open it.

How do you stand legally? The postman gave it to you by delivering it. So is it legally yours?

If not i am going to sign everyone up to my own Gas and Electricity service its only £99 a day.
    I will send the mail to your address but with my name, and will sue you for opening\stealing my mail.

Strange country we live in.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AMJRW wrote: »
    I always open every item of post that comes through the door.

It was a new property so has never had any previous occupiers.

It amazes me how much stuff arrives with other peoples names on, One woman had applied for several bank accounts and credit cards and also a job at a bank over 100 miles away, I contacted them & said this named person doesnt and has never lived here & maybe they should call the police f they do turn up for an interview.

Then we get bills from utility providers thinking us for switching to them, Which i know nothing about.

OK if you know its for somebody else, thats one thing but if its an unknown name or item i would always open it.

How do you stand legally? The postman gave it to you by delivering it. So is it legally yours?

If not i am going to sign everyone up to my own Gas and Electricity service its only £99 a day.
    I will send the mail to your address but with my name, and will sue you for opening\stealing my mail.

Strange country we live in.

for me i would worry too much about legality (IMO) unless you use it for dubious purposes
    i deliver to stairs(with some really dodgy people!) and i wouldnt trust any off them.
    where i can i warn customers about having the wrong address on their mail where i know where they live.
    however you get bank statements,credit cards,DVLA documents and the likes.
    these are the same letters people say are 'lost' in the post
    if it came through my door i would be wanting to know what it was if it looked official.
    stuff like junk mail isnt anissue and TBH your wasting your time in most cases returning it as mailsort isnt returned
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure