Ideas for card craft beginner

Options

Comments

• polly1976
    polly1976 Posts: 845 Forumite
    Options
    well my attempt at using tissue paper on my cards was a disaster so back to the drawing board lol im just fed up of doing the same thing any ideas??
  • mumoftwo
    mumoftwo Posts: 1,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is it you're after? background papers? Brads, gems, flowers, techniques? punches, stamping?
    Sent you a pm.
  • Luna69
    Luna69 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I've been making cards for many years now as a hobby and a small business, but it still remains mainly a hobby for me. I used to use tissue paper a fair bit, either covering squares of card to make mini parcels/presents, as a background, similar to the foil only just on plain card and adding glitter in the glue/water when wet.. the card can buckle a bit though, I also just used it as it is as a background paper, I had some with a text on that was nice. I also covered thin card and cut shapes out with it, balloons etc.

I spent years collecting recycled bits and making my own embellishments, I rarely buy manufactured embellishments other than flowers really. I love ribbons, eyelets, buttons, papers etc. I used to take buttons and crystals off old clothing until I just got too much. I do still keep some things if I think they're interesting and I can use it and just not store it.

Oh with tissue paper you could also make mini bouquets, with small flowers, I last bought some on ebay, you can wrap them in the tissue like a bunch?
    Cut it into strips and layer it as a background or weave it?

Yvonne
  • polly1976
    Options
    I dont know really ive just been doing basic stuff never used brads or punches etc i think im scared of doing somthing im not used 2 if you know wot i mean ive also sent you a pm xx
  • mumoftwo
    Options
    Exactly what Luna says: look at everything with cards in mind. Nice buttons (can use in a row on top of some nice paper, in the middle of a cutout flower, or in a corner) so before you throw any clothing out, cut off the buttons) I use ribbon that was aound something I have been given on a parcel or recently I bought some teatowels and had some lovely pink ribbon around it. a nice bit of material to use as a background, if it has a nice motif, it doesn't matter if it frays that adds to the effect. I have used nice tags of the teenagers clothes. I have used charms of an old bracelet the kids didn't want anymore, not real silver or anything, it was flowers and hearts, just punched a small hole in the card and attached the charm with string or thin ribbon.
  • mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    Options
    I keep everything that I think just might make a card.........even got a leaflet from Travelodge last year (with their permission) .........it was an advert for an exhibition of some sort and had musical instruments looking like people..........ideal for my two sons.
    OH won a kiddies notebook in a raffle with a plastic cows head on the front with rolling eyes.......I can peel that off and stick it on a card.......got some fabric with farm animals on it..............shall do that for baby grandson for easter (he won't be bothered whether its got chickens on or not.........lol)
    Anything I might think would be useable is in a box (or several) trouble is, remembering what I've got...................lol
    I try and cut the cost down as much as I can being on a tight budget so whatever card I make has to be cheaper than one I'd buy.
    Bits from last years christmas cards (I only hand on to the really personal ones), a lot or re-usable bit on them.
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • polly1976
    Options
    Im the same mary got a free sample of comfort yesterday and the folder it came in was coverd in flowers so i kept it and made a card it looks ace i undid some nice xmas crackers cos the design was nice i look at everything now with cards in mind lol im a addict lol
  • polly1976
    Options
    At long last here it is 2007-2008218.jpgthe Easter Card i promised hope you all like it xx
  • mumoftwo
    Options
    The card is really nice Polly1976!! It's great, I like the edging and the peel off flower border.. Proportions are nice and purple being a religious colour, well thought out. I hope the person you made it for was really pleased. What did you put on the insert?
    (by the way your leather chair is similar to mine, wood is a bit different:grin:)
  • polly1976
    Options
    Thanks glad you liked it i just left the insert blank as not sure how to do them yet
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure