PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long does fresh yeast last ?

Options
We got some fresh yeast from tesco bakery yesterday and i've applied it to a dough mixture today in the pananonic (Although i didn't activate it first in warm water so god knows if it will turn out, i guess i'll find out in an hour or so :)).

Anyway i've popped it into a tight fitting container in the fridge but how long does it last ?

They were pretty generous and gave us quite a lot so i'm hoping it lasts a few weeks as a result (enough time to at least use some of it).

Any ideas ?
A male chef of 4. My restaurant is always full and i don't need to tout for business.
OK OK
I'm a house husband but it did sound better my way :beer:

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Two to three weeks at best.

It's safe to portion it out into an ice cube tray and freeze it.

Works just fine :)

Good luck with your loaf :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • danz0l
    danz0l Posts: 343 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Squeaky. Its gonna be trial and error as i'm not sure non activation of the yeast will effect it. It should kinda activate when the water mixed but god knows :)

Its dough for rolls for the kids. Oh well, nothing tried, nothing gained :)
    A male chef of 4. My restaurant is always full and i don't need to tout for business.
    OK OK
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you're making dough right now with it, rather than a loaf, and it hasn't risen much - just leave it in the BM for some extra time and it will (slowly) rise up to the usual height.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • danz0l
    Options
    Thanks squeaky. Being new to the panasonic i don't really know what the usual height is :) Hopefully it will turn out ok though.

it has an hour to go and i've had a quick look and its ball shaped so thats not a bad sign :)
    OK OK
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Usually fairly close to the top of the bread pan.
  • danz0l
    Options
    oh yikes :( Its about half way up so its not rising.

I'll give it a go anyways :)
    OK OK
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did say s l o w l y . . .

:)

Once the breadmaker cools down - if you have somewhere warm you can put the dough it will keep on rising.
  • danz0l
    Options
    Rolls are out and proofing on trays now :) They seem ok actually so i think disaster diverted :) They seems spongy and dough consistency so heres hoping :)
    OK OK
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    hi, sorry to hijack the conversation, but I've read before about getting free fresh yeast from supermarkets. Is that what you did, and how did you do it? Like, who do you ask etc...

Ta muchly,

Weezl

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • danz0l
    Options
    Hiya
    Weezl. We just went to the back where the bakers are and asked if they had any yeast today. Apparently they can't sell it to you as yeast is a living organism and they can't sell living things but will gladly give you for free.

Also apparently its bakers myth that if someone asks for yeast and they refuse their bread will go flat and not rise. Its a weird thing but they are glad to give you some.

We've asked twice and they've been more than happy to give us quite a substantial amount.

Back on topic and we have the rolls proofing and they are, SLOWLY as squeeky pointed out, rising. I'm making some more and this time activated the yeast in 20ml of warm water and 1tsp sugar and its alive :) its caused a great deal of interest in the house and the wife has now adopted two bubbles as her own LOL :)
    OK OK
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family