Future House Prices, with poll

Ok,

so anyone who believes that the housing asset bubble has burst, like I do!
Please make your best estimation as to when you think the market will hit a bottom, go on your gut feel and the information you know up to this date. After all thats the best you can do.

Many Regards

Predictions please for the bottom to the housing market 70 votes

1st half of 2008
5%
Davey_2madhousepickledpinkHammersFan 4 votes
2nd half of 2008
8%
elonascopebarrymoneyyellowmonkeytanikk£sugarpants_2 6 votes
1st half of 2009
2%
Magic_Dragonwriggly 2 votes
2nd half of 2009
8%
GonzoPaul_N_4carpetbellyaztec21becky2011logburner_2 6 votes
1st half of 2010
12%
pheadtsstss7Nenenarthur_dent_2turbobobModernSlaveotter1_2Ephemeraredmen9 9 votes
2nd half of 2010
4%
oldMcDonaldMushy61mikelivingstone 3 votes
1st half of 2011
11%
jaypeaqueoushumour01pickles110564kateandpetephlashandysstuff_2boat_girlJadeCripps_2 8 votes
2nd half of 2011
15%
RovercentralBobPropertydreamalittlecaroltMissMoneypennyAudreyIIslipthruMoneySavingMinxDatasafe_2TD5 11 votes
somewhere in 2012
18%
mrsplinterGeneraligps_2bristol_pilotneverdespairgirlthescouselanderpoppy10_2BettiePageixwoodKez100beingjdcLavendyrbrit1234 13 votes
somewhere in 2013
11%
mystic_trevkingkanoPitchshifterAlan_M_2dannyboyceyenigmamPasturesNewSquatNow 8 votes

Replies

• pinkshoespinkshoes Forumite
    18.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Market varies from region to region, town to town, street to street.

Any sensible person wouldn't put their name to such a sweeping generalisation.

I think the bottom of the housing market was er.... 5BC? When did properties start changing hands for money? That's the date I pick!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • strongboesstrongboes Forumite
    107 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    I don't think you are going to be bound into a contract if you vote pinkshoes. It's supposed to be light hearted and a general measure of peoples sentiment.

Regards
  • GeneraliGenerali
    36.4K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    somewhere in 2012
    Should've put a 'no idea' option in. I reckon if you can pick the top or bottom of a market then you're either a genius, very lucky or getting it right on the stopped clock principle!

FWIW, I pick 2012. It's a guess though I admit.
  • RoverRover Forumite
    323 Posts
    2nd half of 2011
    2nd half 2011 for me, Merv told me.
    anger, denial, acceptance ;)
  • A worthwhile theme but I don't agree with the voting options.

Bear markets are like bull markets. They can run for decades or even generations. When they turn however, they can stay in or out of favour for very long periods. Silver prices have never revisited their tops of 30 years ago. Japanese property prices are still slipping after 20 years. As for Japanese share prices, they topped out at 48,000 a generation ago. At that time, people were speculating as to when they would hit 100,000. Today people are wondering when they will get back to 15,000.In some cases (like bakelite radios) they fall and never recover.

If I was to be put on the spot I would venture to suggest that property will be cheaper in 40 years time than it is today.
  • fc123fc123 Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    macaque wrote: »

If I was to be put on the spot I would venture to suggest that property will be cheaper in 40 years time than it is today.

Great...so I'll be 84 when prices could be at a level that I could actually klive my secret dream life; penthouse Shad Thames (winter), beach house (summer)......oh well........:rolleyes:
  • Gorgeous_GeorgeGorgeous_George Forumite
    8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    A quarter past three in the afternoon on 6 January 2016 (it's a Wednesday).

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • ManAtHomeManAtHome Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd have picked 2015 if only it had been an option... WHERE IS THE BUTTON FOR NONE OF THE ABOVE???
  • heartshearts Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Has it reached the top?
  • Running_HorseRunning_Horse Forumite
    11.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who cares?

Prices rise and fall, but as long as you can afford the repayments and don't need to cash in the equity, the level of price is irrelevant.
    I was present at wreath-laying but don't think I was involved.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides