Shop disappeared

Not sure if this is the right forum. I ordered some floor tiles from a local shop about 6 weeks ago. We paid 50% deposit by cheque (£450). We were told the tiles had been ordered and were in storage, so we needed to give 3 days notice for delivery.

We tried to contact the shop this week, but the telephone number is just giving a dead tone. I've been to the shop, and there's a sign in the window saying they're only open 3 days a week (thur to sat). There is still stock in the shop, which suggests its still "there". We've e-mailed them and left a note in the letterbox (there was a bit of mail in the letterbox already.

The owner has had some serious health problems in the past, so we've been quite patient with him, but we desperately need our tiles for a week's time because we have a tiler coming to fit. I don't know what to do if we don't hear this weekend.

Should I get tiles from somewhere else and ask for a refund from this shop, give them more time? Could I taken them to court if they failed to refund me (considering the tiles were a special order)?

Its impossible to get hold of them without a different telphone number. I obviously don't want to lose my money either.

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hello WaveyDave

I'll move your thread to 'The Consumer Vent' board.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • sorry, wasn't sure where it should go, so figured tiles are for the house so...:o
  • Where abouts is the shop? Is it one of a couple of branches?

Reason I ask is that if you say it's a local shop, you never know someone may know/of the people who own the shop.

Coud be resolved amicably that way

HTH
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Could you contact the tiles manufacturer and ask them if they could help you?IF they are his supplier,they may know the situation.
  • WaveyDave_2
    WaveyDave_2 Posts: 209 Forumite
    I only know the supplier of one of the set of tiles (the floor tiles). We had ordered the adhesive/grout everything from him. He is a a sole trader, so no other parts of the chain to badger unfortunately.

I spoke to Consumer Direct yesterday, who advised that I should write a recorded delivery letter to him, and give it 10 days before they can action anything (although the woman said if he's stopped trading there's not a lot we can do). The problem with this, is that we need the tiles for a week Monday :mad:

So annoyed.
  • hollydays
    Its a very difficult situation-good luck.Only other thought,does he belong to any trade association(look at his ad in yellow pages maybe).I am just wondering if he is ill ,rather than witholding your goods.
  • WaveyDave_2
    He might well be ill, he was very ill before Christmas. I am sympathetic to this, but being unable to contact him at all is my concern with it. His phones is just completely dead!
  • hollydays
    Yes agree,you already have been sympathetic.
  • jockettuk
    jockettuk Posts: 5,809 Forumite
    if it says on the note he open 3 days a week why not pop down on one of those days if not open stick a note through the door..
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
  • WaveyDave_2
    If only it were that simple :o

He is supposed to open Thurs, Fri and Sat. We dropped a note in on Tuesday evening (which is when we saw the opening times). No phonecall has been received Thursday, Friday or today. No sign of life at all at the shop :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure