State Pension and hospital

My husband has been admitted to hospital and I'm not sure how long he will be in there. I believe I read somewhere that after a certain amount of time his state pension will be reduced or stopped. Does anyone know the details please because I can't seem to find the information on the pension service website. We are dependent on his pension because I am unable to work myself.

Thank you.

Comments

• EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    sfry wrote: »
    My husband has been admitted to hospital and I'm not sure how long he will be in there. I believe I read somewhere that after a certain amount of time his state pension will be reduced or stopped.

No longer the case.

http://www.helptheaged.org.uk/en-gb/AdviceSupport/FinancialAdvice/Pensions/StateRetirementPension/as_statepen_281205_5.htm
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    It did used to reduce by either 20% if married or 40% if single after 6 weeks if I remember rightly but this reduction was taken out a few years ago. However I'm not sure if it would effect any tax credits (if he gets any on top of his pension) and I think things like DLA may still be effected.
    ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• State pension is unaffected, but if he gets attendance allowance, that will stop after (I think) 4 weeks. If you look at the award letter you will see that you are meant to let them know about hospital admissions.

Not really to do with the query but I want to grouse about it - when my mother was in hospital for 5 days recently, her AA was stopped with no explanation and it took 4 months to get it reinstated:mad:. Still waiting for the apology :rolleyes:.
  • sfry
    sfry Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for all your reassurance. I don't have income myself because I am recovering from cancer and am still a few years off retirement age myself when I will be entitled to a full state pension. I was on incapacity benefit but that has now been stopped and when I feel a bit better I hope to be able to do some work again.

My husband doesn't get DLA or any other allowances.

Thanks again.
  • sfry
    Why has your incapacity benefit being stopped if you're still recovering? You're not well yet, are you? Haven't you appealed against it being stopped? More medical evidence needed?

Margaret

I have finished my chemotherapy courses and am lots better but still get tired easily. My benefit was stopped because I am well enough to get around and go out and look after myself.

I am gradually building myself up but know that going back to work at the moment would be too tiring and stressful so have started myself off getting back into the real world by doing voluntary work at a charity shop one afternoon a week. Hopefully I can build up to longer hours there and that will be good practice for when I can apply for a paid job.
  • sfry
    Yes, that's fine, and good for you. However, if you're not well enough to look for work then you're still ill, in which case you should still be on some kind of sickness benefit, is what I was really trying to say.

Added to which, if you're not on benefits any more you're not getting your NI contributions credited, which will have an impact when you finally come to retire. You can always go along to the JobCentrePlus and just ask to have your NI contribution credited every week. My late daughter did this while she was on a college course - she wasn't 'available for work' but she wanted to keep up her contribution record.

HTH

Margaret

Thanks ever so. My NI contributions were paid in full during my incapacity benefit as you state. After they stopped being paid the DWP sent me a letter about my number of years qualifying contributions for a full pension and the fact that there was a year missing from the past. I had an option to pay a lump sum which would pay for those contributions and thus give me the full 30 years contributions towards my pension.

I have paid this and now don't need to worry because I will be entitled to full pension at retirement.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport