Alliance & Leicester In Trouble?

Options
I've seen reports that A&L are in trouble and may be the next Northern Rock. Any truth to these rumours?
If so, what advice regards money in savings accounts with them?

Comments

• Liz_the_Whizz
    Options
    I hope there aren't going to be too many more rumours about banks in trouble.

My mattress is so stuffed full of the money I've queued up to withdraw from savings accounts that my nose is nearly touching the ceiling;)
    "Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm" (Sir Winston Churchill)
  • tawse57
    tawse57 Posts: 551 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ben Bernanke said yesterday that some banks will go bust before this credit crisis is over.
    This is not financial nor legal nor property advice. Consult a paid professional if in doubt.
  • free4440273
    free4440273 Posts: 38,438 Forumite
    Options
    tawse57 wrote: »
    Ben Bernanke said yesterday that some banks will go bust before this credit crisis is over.
    Welcome to reality Ben:rotfl:. And Mr Bernanke's next thesis will be on....'How the Dollar could collapse' :rotfl:
    BLOODBATH IN THE EVENING THEN? :shocked: OR PERHAPS THE AFTERNOON? OR THE MORNING? OH, FORGET THIS MALARKEY!

THE KILLERS :cool:

THE PUNISHER :dance: MATURE CHEDDAR ADDICT:cool:
  • adgupta
    Options
    Al_Mac wrote: »
    Do you have more than 35k with them?

Is it 35k per account or 35k per customer?

I have got two savings accounts with them - one ISA and the other online eSaver. Each account has less than 35k, but combined I have more than 35k with A&L. Is my deposit protected under FSCS?

Thanks,
    adgupta
  • purch
    purch Posts: 9,865 Forumite
    Options
    Any truth to these rumours?
    :eek:

Yeah, like this Forum would be the first place they would announce anything !!!
    'In nature, there are neither rewards nor punishments - there are Consequences.'
  • BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    Options
    Its per financial institution, so neither

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/safe-savings

Martins article goes through it.

Some accounts are run by banks for a non financial company e.g Sainsburys so these come under the banks £35K.

As it stands you would lose some of your money.

If you are worried shift your excess to another institution.

There are better deals anyway elsewhere.
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • macgyver
    macgyver Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    adgupta wrote: »
    Is it 35k per account or 35k per customer?

I have got two savings accounts with them - one ISA and the other online eSaver. Each account has less than 35k, but combined I have more than 35k with A&L. Is my deposit protected under FSCS?

Thanks,
    adgupta

It is 35k per customer per institution (not Bank)

HTH
    I wanted to thankyou a million times but its a shame that I can press the button just once :T
  • Liz_the_Whizz
    Options
    BenL wrote: »

There are better deals anyway elsewhere.

Despite its constraints, you have to look hard to do better than the eSaver @ 6.5% - only the even dodgier banks offer more;)
    "Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm" (Sir Winston Churchill)
  • PBA
    PBA Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    Options
    Kitchener wrote: »
    I've seen reports that A&L are in trouble and may be the next Northern Rock.
    And what's the problem with that? It was the savers withdrawing their money from NR that caused the major problems, otherwise they were doing just fine (with Govt assistance).

The Govt have just proven with NR that they're not going to let a British bank go to the wall, the "trouble" people refer to is that some banks might make millions, rather than their usual billions, this year :p
  • Stavros_3
    Stavros_3 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Its scaremongering headline posts like this that causes rumours to spread around the www like wildfire, I've more than 35k in the A & L which I am quite comfortable with.
    Liquidity is when you look at your investment portfolio and **** your pants
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport