Multifuel or Wood burning stove

Options
1235»

Comments

• Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A friend has a firefox 8 and it seems good enough quality to me.
  • jonewer
    jonewer Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    Options
    Swipe wrote: »
    A friend has a firefox 8 and it seems good enough quality to me.

Remember that when you spend money, you cast a vote for the kind of world you want to live in.

If you cast your vote for Chinese imports undercutting British manufacturing, then dont complain when your livelihood is also outsourced.
    Mortgage debt - [STRIKE]£8,811.47 [/STRIKE] Paid off!
  • Greenfires
    Options
    The Firefox stoves aren't that bad in fairness - there are some Chinese stoves out there I wouldn't touch with a bargepole though!
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Options
    jonewer wrote: »
    Remember that when you spend money, you cast a vote for the kind of world you want to live in.

If you cast your vote for Chinese imports undercutting British manufacturing, then dont complain when your livelihood is also outsourced.

We all buy iPods that are made in China, cars made in Eastern Europe, furniture made in China and Vietnam, Dysons made in China, that's how the world is. British Leyland disappeared years ago for obvious reasons.

But I do think there are some British made goods that might cost a bit more, but you get more. I had delivered a British made solid oak bed today, very well made, worth a bit more. Are British made stoves like that? I have a Charnwood, very nice, but to be honest, I don't know if cheaper alternatives are as good or better.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • jonewer
    jonewer Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    Options
    Leif wrote: »
    We all buy iPods that are made in China, cars made in Eastern Europe, furniture made in China and Vietnam, Dysons made in China, that's how the world is. British Leyland disappeared years ago for obvious reasons.

But I do think there are some British made goods that might cost a bit more, but you get more. I had delivered a British made solid oak bed today, very well made, worth a bit more. Are British made stoves like that? I have a Charnwood, very nice, but to be honest, I don't know if cheaper alternatives are as good or better.

Its up to you. Like I said, you vote for the kind of world you live in.
    Mortgage debt - [STRIKE]£8,811.47 [/STRIKE] Paid off!
  • Greenfires
    Options
    Half the problem is "people like us" who never want pay a penny more than they absolutely have to. The Chinese are perfectly capable of making a very good product - but when some Westerner turns up and says he wants a shipload of stoves and won't pay more than £30 each for them - what are they going to do? They build down to a price rather than up to a spec.

Lot of people don't care though because they got a good deal or so they think. Many bargain basement stoves will be a misery to live with though - but is that the fault of the Chinese, the importer wanting to maximise his profits, or the buyer wanting something on the cheap? This is why we have stories about factories in India burning down killing dozens of workers who were locked in to make sure they weren't slacking off instead of making clothing for British high street stores. Ahhh - but I got this jacket real cheap - so it doesn't matter....etc etc
  • SEE
    SEE Posts: 722 Forumite
    Options
    jonewer wrote: »

Those are possibly the wisest words I have ever read on the Internet.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Halifax, taking the Xtra since 1853:rolleyes:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • firebox2
    Options
    Hi
    I have a hunter herald 6 mark 2 multi fuel stove. I now only burn logs. Is it OK and safe to remove the grate and riddle bar and burn logs on the bottom of the stove? Or is it really necessary to purchase a conversion kit. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure