Why Are Customers Charged A Monthly Fee To Have A Bank Account??????

I would like to know why I get charged a monthly "Account Fee" for having my bank account with Lloyds TSB??? They have sent me a letter in the last two days saying that my Account Charge will be going up to £7.95 per month. For this wonderful increase of 95p I get them to remind me of my contact telephone numbers and I also get Air Miles. One, I don't need my bank to remind me of who I call and two, I DON'T TRAVEL. WHY DO I NEED AIR MILES WHEN I DON'T TRAVEL?????

Are there any people that can help with me not paying the monthly "fee" or are there any other banks that don't charge you the fee for having the privelegde of having your account with them? I am sick of being charged a monthly fee for junk I don't need !!!!!!

PLEASE HELP ME :mad:

Comments

• roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Simple- just change to one that dosent charge a fee, lots out there
    Had to laught at "Watchdog" when FD won, they charge a fee!
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You chose an Account that charged a fee which would of been made clear in its terms and conditions. Now you need to choose an account that doesn't charge fees, there are loads of them out there....
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • h5djr
    h5djr Posts: 86 Forumite
    By you description of the account you are with Lloyds TSB. I also bank with them and I have never paid any fee for my current account. All you need to do if ask them to change you account to a Classic or Classic Plus and the will be no monthly fee involved.

All of their other accounts offer some benefits, but if those benefits are not worth the total cost over a year to you then change. It's that simply.
  • moloch2910 wrote: »
    I would like to know why I get charged a monthly "Account Fee" for having my bank account with Lloyds TSB???
    Because you selected (or were persuaded to accept) their fee charging current account instead of one of the two that don't charge a fee perhaps?

Quite simple really. Simple solution as well - ask them to change your current account to one of the others.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    moloch2910 wrote: »
    I would like to know why I get charged a monthly "Account Fee" for having my bank account with Lloyds TSB??? They have sent me a letter in the last two days saying that my Account Charge will be going up to £7.95 per month. For this wonderful increase of 95p I get them to remind me of my contact telephone numbers and I also get Air Miles. One, I don't need my bank to remind me of who I call and two, I DON'T TRAVEL. WHY DO I NEED AIR MILES WHEN I DON'T TRAVEL?????

Are there any people that can help with me not paying the monthly "fee" or are there any other banks that don't charge you the fee for having the privelegde of having your account with them? I am sick of being charged a monthly fee for junk I don't need !!!!!!

PLEASE HELP ME :mad:

Stop the capital letters/shouting.

If you don't want this account package then change it. No big deal at all.
  • Once the banks lose their court case & have to refund billions of fees, we'll all be paying a fee to operate a bank account!
    Ethical moneysaver
  • we'll all be paying a fee to operate a bank account!
    No we all won't.

At the first sign of compulsory charges on any of my current accounts, I shall be closing them and explaining why.

Which will leave me with at least one bank who has current accounts that don't charge compulsory fees.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Which i s the one bank that will not charge fees eventually?
  • I had a basic Lloyds TSB account (no fee), but everytime I went into the branch they would take me into a side room and try and sell me lots of 'great offers' (insurance, breakdown cover.....) for one low monthly fee of £xx.xx

I always said no
  • Once the banks lose their court case & have to refund billions of fees, we'll all be paying a fee to operate a bank account!

Yes, and it'll be thanks to the financially incontinent on this site who can't run their accounts according to the agreed terms and conditions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure