Are so-called HSDPA 3.5G Sim cards a Con?

Options
point3
point3 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
Is there any difference between a 'standard' 3G sim card and one labelled as a 'HSDPA' or '3G Broadband' sim card? A number of comments on various fora would suggest not, yet there are a number of Ebay sellers who insist that there is a difference and are charging £5 for a sim card that other sellers are offering for 99p for 2 :confused:

The packaging looks identical. The sim cards look identical and work in exactly the same way - I can't get either to connect yet at HSDPA speeds :o

Are we being ripped off, 'cos we don't know any better? Please discuss. :D

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    there are no differences in the sims (definitely not, with a T-Mobile or 3UK sim), any sim in an HSDPA handset will give HSDPA speed, and if you put the "HSDPA" sim from Ebay in a non-HSDPA phone you will either get normal UMTS or GPRS speed, depending on handset.
    ====
  • point3
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

Yep, I do believe this to be the case with Vodafone as well. I confirmed instore that the only difference between a standard Vodafone PAYG 3G sim card and one set up for data transfer via a broadband modem is that the broadband sim card is already set up with the £20 3G per month data tariff. This requires a direct debit to be set up, but the payments are still on a PAYG basis. Vodafone were perfectly happy to set this up instore.

Interesting you should say 3UK sim cards are identical too - I spoke to a young girl instore who said that she didn't know, but she thought they were different :confused:

Please, do not buy the "special" HSDPA broadband sim cards on Ebay - they are no different from standard 3G sims. The only thing that may need to be changed is the tariff ;)
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    point3 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

Interesting you should say 3UK sim cards are identical too - I spoke to a young girl instore who said that she didn't know, but she thought they were different :confused:

I have a 3UK PAYG sim, had it for some time too, long before HSDPA was even in use and when I put it in my N95 it runs at HSDPA speed and has the 3.5G icon on screen, to confirm the connection.
    ====
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • point3
    Options
    Oh, Browntoa :(

I though this question was most relevant to the Internet discussion thread, as this was about getting a sim only deal for mobile broadband for your laptop or PC :(

;)
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not sure but thought this was either a better home, or techie if you want
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Hopefullyuseful1
    Options
    Hello everyone.

There is no such thing as a HSDPA SIM and 3G SIM.

HSDPA and 3G is a variant of the network. You can put any SIM card into you handset and as long as the phone supports the service and there's network availability you can connect using either method.

Hopefullyuseful1
    Vodafne UK
  • diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    ^ there is on Orange
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • littlewhitey
    Options
    And on O2 .. T-Mobile and Vodafone allow any sim to use either GSM or UMTS/HSDPA though. :)
  • diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    at least o2 upgrade you to 3G sim on request, Orange dont which when you have a K800i and most your local CELLS are 3G as numerous old broken 2G ones are being replaced with 3G, its f'in stupid
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure