🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

DFS Rip Off

Options

Comments

• MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We recently bought two sofas from DFS and went for the nothing to pay for first year and then 36 months at £xx pounds etc. The salesman went through the agreement forms very thoroughly and when it came to the ppi insurance I declined. Although the salesman said he was concerned that by doing this and if we lost our income we may not be able to pay for money back. I thanked him for his concern but advised him he would have to find another way to make a fast buck and he shut up.

We were accepted by Blackhorse Finance and the sofas were delivered 7 weeks later.

Excellent service and excellent quality.
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We have been sofa shopping, seen many items and thought that DFS were overpriced compared to the rest of the market (SCS, land of leather etc).

We can get credit, just that were saving the cash to pay in full, as when we went to SCS the salesman was eager to reduce the prices for a sale there and then..
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our DFS sofa needed new seat cushions as the originals supplied wore out in less than 2 years. The DFS expert came out and merely plumped them up.

We will never shop there again - their loss.
  • Gillianh2
    Gillianh2 Posts: 773 Forumite
    Options
    We bought two leather sofas and took out the Leather protection cover. (supposed to cover for accidental staining etc;) Well they stained okay everytime anyone in dark clothes or jeans sat on them.:cool: Requested a visit from DFS to rectify this was told............................................. Oh you are not covered for staining from clothes etc; only from something like Tomato Sauce or Curry:mad: Needless to say we would never shop there again:p
    :j I have a persecution complex. Everytime I pass a shoe shop they persecute me till I buy them:j
  • joanie20
    Options
    I recently ordered a sofafrom DFS and paid a 400 pound deposit and agreed to pay cash on delivery however my circumstances have rapidly changed and am no longer able to pay or accept sofa, I know i will loose the deposit but will i be able to cancel the order without being taken to court?
  • Lucifa42
    Lucifa42 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Gillianh2 wrote: »
    We bought two leather sofas and took out the Leather protection cover. (supposed to cover for accidental staining etc;) Well they stained okay everytime anyone in dark clothes or jeans sat on them.:cool: Requested a visit from DFS to rectify this was told............................................. Oh you are not covered for staining from clothes etc; only from something like Tomato Sauce or Curry:mad: Needless to say we would never shop there again:p

Oddly enough, we've just bought a sofa from DFS and one of things they said the protection cover doesn't cover is curry! (though how they prove it's curry I don't know).
    Though this is a fabric sofa, not leather.

For the record, we've gone for 2 years interest free credit, with 24 payments starting a month after it gets delivered - 5 weeks to delivery.
  • Gillianh2
    Gillianh2 Posts: 773 Forumite
    Options
    Lucifa42 wrote: »
    Oddly enough, we've just bought a sofa from DFS and one of things they said the protection cover doesn't cover is curry! (though how they prove it's curry I don't know).
    Though this is a fabric sofa, not leather.

For the record, we've gone for 2 years interest free credit, with 24 payments starting a month after it gets delivered - 5 weeks to delivery.

My advice would be to cancel the cover it is a needless expense it is worthless. Trust me from bitter experience.:eek:
    :j I have a persecution complex. Everytime I pass a shoe shop they persecute me till I buy them:j
  • DaisyClaire
    DaisyClaire Posts: 641 Forumite
    Options
    DFS use several different credit agencies - if you fail with one they try another and so on. I am currently paying for my sofas and the agency is Open & Direct.
  • continualdiamond
    Options
    Our sofa is from DFS, we went for the 0% interest for 4 yrs plan, with no payments for the 1st yr, so in affect where paying it off over 3 years with no interest.

One thing that did annoy me about them though, is that we went in at the time we did because we knew it would take some weeks to make and it would work out for when we moved house. As it turned out it was spot on for timing when the salesman confirmed the time it would take, we made it clear it couldn't be delivered before such and such a date because we were renting fully furnished and it couldn't got anywhere.

Of course it was ready 2 weeks early and they wanted to deliver it, well we clearly had to say no, because we hadn't moved. They were not happy at all, but it was on our contract we'd sign saying it couldn't be delivered until after such and such a date. But they were annoyed that our sofa had to take up space for an extra 2 weeks.
    Mummy to two girls: October 2013 and February 2016
  • MYLITTLESISTERLOLA
    Options
    I was going to go to DFS on Saturday to buy a sofa, so glad I read this thread I will now stay well clear
    Thanks everyone for you comments
    Busy mum of 3, so if my posts don't make sense or ask a silly question be patient:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport