PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How Long Do You Keep Home-made Soup For?

Options

Comments

• Tristan00
    Options
    I made home made soup with ham shank lentils and carrots - made monday last night myself and hubby ate it within hour both sick and continued to be the rest of the night along with diarohea. looking on the net i think i may have not cooled quick enough or not reheated enought,,,,feel awful so really not wanting to make soup again after this!!! how do i cool it quickly after making before putting in fridge?

It is actually 12-24 hours.....It is almost impossible to get food poisoning a couple of hours after you have eaten....If you do....then the food you ate was so bad at the time ...you should of known better.

So the next time you feel sick after you have eaten....ask yourself --- "What did I have for breakfast? When dealing with food borne illness you should look back at everything you ate 24 hours ago ...sometime 48, you will find the real villain somewhere back then.

It was NOT the soup!...not even remotely possible….if it was the soup would have been inedible form the get go.
  • misskaytee
    Options
    angchris wrote: »
    my ex mil used to make a hugeee pan of soup and left it on the cooker in the same pot all week and reheated it every day in the same pot, she did this nearly every week all of her adult life and lived to a ripe old age and never poisoned anyone in the process.i think in todays world we have become a bit obsessed about germs and mould and keeping things at the right temperature and dates on food if things went green years ago they would just cut it off and carry on eating it!
    i however do keep my soup in the fridge 4 days max and if i make too much it gets frozen.

Im 34 and my mum is 72, i remember she always did the same when we where kids, Massive pot on the stove always and she just added to it,
    Noone ever became ill eating it, but its not something id recommend anyone do and i wouldn't do it myself.

Got to say ~ it was the most wonderful soup!!
    Everyday im shufflin':dance: Proud Padder ~ All Hail The Power of Pad
  • marmiterulesok
    Options
    When I make a big pot of soup I keep it in the fridge.It can last me up to a week.I haven't fallen ill yet.
    Any longer than that and I would freeze individual portions.
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 October 2010 at 11:32AM
    Options
    I make soup and insummer cool it quickly by standing the pot in a sink full of cold water, changing the water once in a while and giving the soup a good stir. In winter it cools down pretty quickly by itself given the kitchen is unheated. Then it goes in the fridge and gets reheated as necessary in a pot on the stove, making sure it comes up to boil for a few minutes. I will eat soup on the third day but there's rarely any left tbh, because if I know it's not going to be a soup few days I freeze the stock rather than make soup. I rarely bother to freeze soup.

If I'm using rice or noodles or pasta in soup I only make enough for that day. These ingerdients don't keep well, both from a safety point of view and they go mushy and gluey anyway.

Re the reboiling of a pan of soup on the hob every day for a week. Yes, this was the old fashioned way and it seemed to work out for most folk. Bear in mind though that in Ye Olde Days kitchens were very rarely heated and the temperatures in most kitchens at night during the winter could easily be equivelent to our fridge temperatures nowadays. I remember my great-aunt's scullery being cold enough in the autumn and winter for the milk to freeze, for example. Kitchens nowadays are often heated and the climate is warmer overall anyway, so I would hazard a guess that few people's kitchens drops below freezing nowadays, and most will be a great deal warmer. So the long term soup pot on the stove thing might not be such a good idea in this case, no?
    Val.
  • debtdesperado
    Options
    I have eaten soup up to about 10 days after I have made it, keeping it in the fridge. Having said that, it's just veg, I would never do that with a soup containing rice, cabbage (apparently it ferments) or anything with meat as it could give you food poisoning, so I add things like that (or noodles or pasta, but just because they turn to sludge when you reheat) on the day I'm going to eat it.

I tend to go by my tastebuds (and wallet)... if I don't have any money, I just boil it and then eat it. If it tastes horrible or funny or fizzy, then I chuck it out. But I always try it first!

Anyway, food poisoning = cheaper food bill plus weight loss...I see no problem with that :-) (NB I have never had food poisoning yet from doing this!)
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was thinking about this further. Soup with cream or milk shouldn't be kept out of the fridge either come to think of it and if you reboil most cream based soups they'll split. I personally would eat these on the day they're made, or only add the cream to the amount of base soup I was going to use immediately.

As for soups with rice and pasta in them, see above.

Also, in the early pioneering days of microbiology clear chicken broth was one of the mediums used for growing bacterial cultures in the laboratory. Bacteria like meat based broths. But at least meat stock can stand a little reboiling. Just remember though that while boiling will kill most bacteria it won't destroy the toxins that the bacteria produce. There's no particular reason for most of us not to use our fridges and freezers as safe storage for soup, I would have thought, so why chance it?
    Val.
  • lbr102
    lbr102 Posts: 192 Forumite
    Options
    angchris wrote: »
    my ex mil used to make a hugeee pan of soup and left it on the cooker in the same pot all week and reheated it every day in the same pot, she did this nearly every week all of her adult life and lived to a ripe old age and never poisoned anyone in the process.i think in todays world we have become a bit obsessed about germs and mould and keeping things at the right temperature and dates on food if things went green years ago they would just cut it off and carry on eating it!
    i however do keep my soup in the fridge 4 days max and if i make too much it gets frozen.

My mother is exactly the same! She will make a huge pot of soup and it is on the cooker being reheated each time we want it until it's gone. I'm used to it being like that so always do it like that with her soup recipe. However, when it comes to any other recipes I use I refrigerate them and get worried around about day 3. Strange that!
  • llh189
    llh189 Posts: 533 Forumite
    Options
    I batch cook, and as I live alone and put up with the boredom of eating the same thing for several nights in a row.

I am a bit bored though of my batch cooking rota of cheap meals! And a friend sent me some really nice soup recipes, mainly veg based, no cream and I was wondering how long they'd keep in the fridge before I poison myself - thanks!
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    A couple of days, I would have thought. I freeze mine.
  • babs2008
    babs2008 Posts: 576 Forumite
    Options
    Well, I've kept home made soup in the fridge for a week and I'm still ok - and it tasted fine too.
    Looking forward to the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport