Barclaycard Platinum GUARANTEED OFFER

Options
Hi

i just have a quick question,

i am a 19 years old, coming up 20, and i am a Barclays bank customer, and today i recieved a letter with Gauranteed writen all over it, saying that because im a barclays customer, that i am gauranteed to be accepted for there platinum credit card with 0% balence transfers till feb 2009, and a purchase rate of 13.9%, which is 1 percent lower than the website., and to just send the form back by the 10th of march and they will send the bits out,

So im just wondering if it is really gauranteed, as online you cannot apply for a platinum card till your 21?

Any help would be appreciated?

Thanks

M

Comments

• Bismarck
    Bismarck Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Options
    Just a thought but you may be guaranteed but probably only get a small £200 - £500 limit....still it's a good start if you want to go down that route....you may find it's also only guaranteed based on the information they currently hold on you...

Maybe others know more...
    For what I've done...I start again...And whatever pain may come ...Today this ends... I'm forgiving what I've done -AF since June 2007
  • HeadInSand_2
    Options
    I bet there's "subject to status" hidden in there someone, if so there may be small print saying they'll offer an alternate card at their discretion. So you send the application off and then they may say 'congrats, you've been accepted for our special 'Rip-you-off-card'!'
    It's a marketing ploy widely used by CC companies, advertising a spangly card and then offering something totally different.
  • danielharris91
    Options
    I applied for the Barclaycard Platinum when i was 19. I was turned down because i was not aged 21 or over.
  • mdcooper
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the comments,

It does say on the letter to confirm the following 2 things to continue your application, and one of them is are you 18 or over, so that clears that up, i obviously can apply for it,

It ses the word Guarenteed on it about 50 times!, and at the bottom , it ses that the offer is only valid for me (the person the letter is addressed to), and it is valid as long as the information i provide is correct andyaccurate.

So i cant see any loop holes in the letter, its only 1 page, and nothing on the other side, so no small print.

I assume they have looked at my barclays current account and seen that i have never been overdrawn, have a perfect credit record, and have a decent salary.

I shall see what they come back with.

M
  • PandaPants_2
    Options
    I had a platinum Barcalycard when i was a student with a part-time job, with a limit of £3,500! I was over 21 though...
    Undefeated Wii Fit ski jump champion!
    Vegas Junkie....

Festering_Plates' number one fan! :T
  • PBA
    PBA Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    Options
    If they've put guaranteed on the offer then it is guaranteed, as long as the information you've given them in the past is true. If for example you're not working but told the bank you are, or you're bankrupt and haven't told them, then I could see them declining the application.
  • mdcooper
    Options
    PBA wrote: »
    If they've put guaranteed on the offer then it is guaranteed, as long as the information you've given them in the past is true. If for example you're not working but told the bank you are, or you're bankrupt and haven't told them, then I could see them declining the application.

Yes, the only thing i think might be different, is the salary i have told them on the application, and the salary that barclays have on there records, i cant remember if i have updated that, but it has increased anyway, so i cant see that being a problem.

Do you think they will do a credit check when they recieve the signed application? or do you think they are happy with the information they have and wont bother?

Thanks

M
  • DebtMagnet
    DebtMagnet Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,

I have just got home to find this same letter mentioned above waiting for me. I don't bank with, and never have banked with Barclays or any Barclays group member (to my knowledge) and yet I too have been given a "guaranteed" offer of a Barclaycard Platinum card.

It says "As someone who keeps on top of their finances, we have pre-approved you for the Barclaycard Platinum." It also has the heading "Guaranteed means a definite yes".

As the OP states, it is a very brief letter and no small print is included. I have read the Barclaycard Conditions leaflet included and under the heading Responsible Lending it does state that "Barclays is a responsible lender. We will check and appraise the financial circumstances of your application carfeully and make any credit reference, fraud or other enquiries we consider appropriate"

So by adding that to the conditions is that their get-out from the "GUARANTEED" offer they are making? I need a new BT card but have fallen foul of targeted offers like this before where I am told I am pre-approved, only to be flatly refused without any explanation. As the wording on this is very different in that it says "it is yours" providing I reply by the deadline, I am tempted but just wanted other opinions. And can any credit provider really guarantee acceptance when you have never been a customer?

Thanks in advance
    DM
  • catnap53
    catnap53 Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DM, I got one of these yesterday, posted about it on another thread.

I have never been a customer of Barclays either. I am tempted too, but don't want to waste a credit search if I am going to be offered a low limit as I would really like to do a BT soon.

Perhaps we could both go for it and compare notes, in the interests of research and providing information for others of course?
  • DebtMagnet
    DebtMagnet Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well exactly catnap53, I too am worried about wasting a valuable search on a false promise.

I didn't see your other post sorry but have just read it now and the responses are mixed so still no wiser really.

I have a number of large debts that I desparatly need to shift from high APR cards but I always fear the rejections (not applied for anything in 6 months). The last 0% I applied for was in Sept 07 and was accepted, but with a credit limit of £1k which only covers the loose change (so to speak) of my debts.

I'm not sure what to do for the best? Maybe I need to try and close some outstanding cards to clear some available credit first? Trouble is I need a CC with a large credit limit to shift stuff around first.:confused:

yours confused,
    DM
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family