How do I leave TalkTalk ?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
18 replies 6.2K views
rat_roaster2000rat_roaster2000 Forumite
3 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
Hi all,
I called AOL to try and take advantage of their offer providing phone, broadband and a free laptop and I am told that as I am a talktalk customer they are unable to do this until my line "belongs" to BT again.
What should I do to take advantage of their offer?
Thanks to you all for helping!
Pete

Replies

• billsavingsbillsavings Forumite
    2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes you need a BT Line to take offer, as AOL do not offer line rental.

So you would need to tell BT that you want to move back to them.
  • So I would need to have 2 bills from 2 companies?
    Is there a charge to do this?
    Does this then mean that I have a "shared" line rather than an independently owned one?
    Thanku
  • Yes you need a BT Line to take offer, as AOL do not offer line rental.

So you would need to tell BT that you want to move back to them.

Not just BT supply "BT" lines - post office and phone co-op to name but two can do this.

Assuming AOL mean your line is with TalkTalk and you are on their LLU service there will more than likely be downtime between switching broadband providers as you will be migrating from full llu back to BT IPStream or shared LLU.
    This guide , To IPStream/DataStream or Shared LLU from Full LLU,shows the differing processes involved so in your case, if talktalk llu, means you should use the simultaneous provide process if you want least amount of downtime.
    Of course the simultaneous provide process is not widely adopted by ISPs so you're on your own.
    Another little gem the llu mob don't tell you when you want to leave.
    “I look like Spiderman at a funeral”~ Karl Pilkington
  • Thankyou very much for your advice, I gather it is far more complicated than I thought.
    So on that basis what should be my steps to change from talktalk to AOL?
    Should I contact BT or the post office etc....
    How long is a typical "break" in service?
    Sorry to keep asking questions I just need to understand how to migrate as best I can.
    Many thanks
    Peter
  • Well first confirm you are on Talktalk LLU ie. is your broadband free?
    Then contact whoever you want to re-connect you to BTs phone network - up to you really who you choose.
    Either AOL can accept the reference number you get from your BT line provider and you get almost simultaneous broadband or you get your landline, contact AOL and it's up to them to get you up and running ASAP.
    In my case I went from Talktalk to BT for landline and to Newnet for broadband.
    Landline transfered from Talktalk to BT same day and broadband about 5 days later.
    I wasn't charged for new BT line, can't confirm if that will be the same for you though.
    This carry on is one of the major reasons I would never again leave a BT line for LLU, there really isn't an easy process for migration that all parties involved can understand, let alone put into practice.
  • jhpjhp Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    deklan99 wrote: »
    Then contact whoever you want to re-connect you to BTs phone network - up to you really who you choose.

But he has to use BT proper, he has no choice on this occasion.
  • jhp wrote: »
    But he has to use BT proper, he has no choice on this occasion.

Why? Don't get your drift there I'm afraid. Both Post Office and Phone Co-op lines are "BT Lines" and compatible with existing broadband services.
  • jhpjhp Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    deklan99 wrote: »
    Why?

Because he has to CPS his calls to AOL Talk to get the offer. Only BT proper will allow you to do this.
  • jhp wrote: »
    Because he has to CPS his calls to AOL Talk to get the offer. Only BT proper will allow you to do this.

Thanks, got you now.
    Was beginning to wonder why there seems to be so few telecos around who do connections, and those that do don't exactly shout it from the rooftops. Obviously no money in it unless they restrict the flexibility of the product unlike BT who have to allow a free for all.

Oh and apologies also to billsavers, correct in saying BT required in this case because of the CPS issue and AOL. In other cases where voice service not an issue other line providers "may" be an option.
  • TalkTalkTalkTalk Forumite, Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Hello,

You can call BT and ask them to take your line back this is free however you will be in a new contract with BT.

Stephen
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals