Update My Orchid Settings

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
14 replies 1K views
FairwindsFairwinds Forumite
773 Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
Hi there, I have been a bit remiss with keeping my Orchid settings up to date over the last year ( or two), partly because I can never access the CWclient without major difficulty.

Anyway, I have 1899 for all landline calls 18185 for all mobile and 0845/0870 numbers. I also have 18866 account
My question is should I be changing these settings ( ihave read something about free Bt at weekends) and also the Auto settings ( that I have briefly read about as well) that Orchid do for you - would that be any good for me or would I need to open new accounts?

Thanks for any advice

Replies

• HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you have some catching up to do Gordon.

Do you have a BT landline?

If so, which Option are you on?

Do you have a CPS calls provider too?
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • FairwindsFairwinds Forumite
    773 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Heinz, I have the basic BT package - so I take it that is option 1?m I'll check

The accounts I have mentioned are all that I have so I don't believe I have a CPS call provider ( what does that stand for again)??

I have just read your sticky on the heinz program - does that work for me?

Thanks again
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CPS is an acronym for Carrier PreSelect (or Carrier PreSelection) and means THIS.

As luck would have it, I've just finished writing a 'no CPS' variation of the '6-steps' post which is beneath the HERE link in my signature. I think that'll suit you. It's HERE.

However, the Heinz program will work for those who have/change to BT Together Option 2 (now known as the Unlimited Evening & Weekend Plan) and that's the one which Orchid use for the semi-automatic update system.

If you're willing to PM me your e-mail address, it may help if I e-mail you an Excel file showing how that program is implemented on CW Client.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • If you have problems connecting to the CWclient look at my last post in this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=8841641&postcount=238
    773 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I have managed to get into the BT website and my call package is

BT Together option1 weekend plan ( get free UK weekend calls from midnight Fri to midnight Sunday)

Does that make any difference or do I still need option 2?
  • Option 1 is the same as Option 2 now apart from Option 2 gives you free evening calls but also gives you a yearly rolling contract.

If you do decide to go for option 2 and you use a CPS service make sure you can keep the CPS service provider and you are not tranfered back to BT for calls unless you want BT calls.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GordonD wrote: »
    I have managed to get into the BT website and my call package is BT Together option1 weekend plan ( get free UK weekend calls from midnight Fri to midnight Sunday)

Does that make any difference or do I still need option 2?
    You appear to have 2 choices:

(1). Change to BT's Unlimited Evening & Weekend Plan. If you agree to a 12 month 'rolling contract' that'll be a no-cost upgrade and will gain you free evening UK 01/02/03 calls of up to 60 minutes on top of the free weekend ones you already have. If you're not willing to commit to that rolling contract, it'll cost you £3.45/month (£2.70/month from 1-4-08).

(2). Leave your BT Option as it is (BT Together Option 1 a.k.a. the Unlimited Weekend Plan) and sign up with Primus for Primus Saver Option 2 / Penny Mobile 2 CPS.

Either will mean the Heinz Orchid program will work unaltered.
    773 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    So to summarise I need to

Contact BT and change to the option 2 package - this looks as if it costs £3ish on the website but if i phone them and commit to a 12 month contract it shouldn't cost anything.
    Then use heinz' routing and get Orchid company to change my routing table as I still can't connect
    ( the last time this was something to do with norton antivirus which I had do disable - I have tried this briefly but reluctantly - anyway still not connecting)
  • I have a version of Norton firewall and this is one of the settings for the CWclient:

Allow trusted "82.68.122.157"

nortonIPsettings.jpg

The only other one is to allow the CWclient access to the internet.
    773 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi BritBrat,

Where do I find that settings page?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands