Monthly Direct Debits

Options
fgaughan
fgaughan Posts: 252 Forumite
Managed to get my phone calls cheap as possible thanks to this website.

Now on to Gas and electric bills which to me is the most confusing one as they don't publish how much pence per kwh etc (unless somone point me the right direction)
i have seen u switch etc but it does not list price per kwh

Whats is everyones gas and elec payments monthly ?
mine is ( i am guessing here as i am at work will post correct information soon as i get home)
42 a month for gas and 28 a month elec (could be the other way round)

would be nice to see some post how much monthly people saved
While I breathe.... I hope

Comments

• margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

We pay £20 a month for electricity from GreenEnergy and £28 a month for gas from Atlantic.

We're a retired couple, live in a 2-bed bungalow, cook by electricity, heat by gas central heating.

The power companies like people to pay by DD so they usually give a discount for paying by this method.

HTH

Aunty Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • fgaughan
    Options
    thanks for reply i forgot to add that heating and cook by gas house is 2 bedroomed small and about 7 years old
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    U-switch does show price per kWh, but not until you've entered your consumption details etc and click on the supplier's tariff details.

But honestly, you don't need to know price per kWh - if you know your consumption (add up a year's bills) then u-switch or similar will show you the best deals without you having to do the maths.

I have just switched (yet again) with u-switch on the basis of a £50 per annum reduction in costs. We use 21,000 kWh of gas and 4,000 (day) 2,400 (night) of electricity, if that helps. That's for 2 people in a large house.
  • fgaughan
    Options
    at home able to check my direct debits
    Gas 28
    Electric 42

Looks high to me :-(
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    direct debit amounts are pretty meaningless unless you know that the amount definitely covers your exact usage over a year(i.e. if your DD payments end up with your account being in a positive or negative balance after 12 months it's inaccurate). If you can work out your kwH I find it's a much better measure to calculate what is best for you
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £42 is quite high for electricity IMHO, but it depends if you run a tumble dryer all day long :(
  • fgaughan
    Options
    MarkyMarkD wrote:
    £42 is quite high for electricity IMHO, but it depends if you run a tumble dryer all day long :(

We don't have a tumble drier..thats why i am looking at a change in electric company
    all lights are energy saving ligh bulbs apart from kitchen lights
    just all your usuall ie kettle tv computer
  • Otago
    Otago Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    Goodness, seems high to me! I live alone in small 2 bedroom and work full time, but my gas is only £15 and electric £15, both from seeboard. I did this through uswitch too
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Kantankrus_Mare Posts: 6,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mines £42 for gas and £26 for electricity....both with British gas.
    (family of 4)

Am quite concerned though as fuel prices seem to keep rising and would be interested in a capped rate but not sure where to start
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • pthompson
    pthompson Posts: 140 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mines £42 for gas and £26 for electricity....both with British gas. (family of 4)

I've just stumbled across this old thread, and can't believe what others are paying for gas / electricity.

I pay a total of £40 pm to Powergen for a family of 4 in a draughty 5-bed Victorian house. We're not particularly frugal, and have mod cons like tumble dryer, dishwasher, etc. Plus I work from home, so heating's on all day long.

Why are your bills so high? Have you never switched supplier?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure